Sony Xperia Z1 (C9603) charging dock
by dunkelstern, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Prints in 2 parts, the dock has a hole where you can fit an original magnet charger connector that you bought somewhere (On amazon for around 9 Euros).
Or you can print the connector part and solder a 0.75mm copper wire to a stripped USB cable (look at the last photo). It prints as a seperate part because the wire-holes tend to close up due to the plastic shrinking or sagging, so you'll have to drill the holes to get the wire through.
Using a magnet charger connector bought somewhere:
- Magnet charger connector
- Print the dock part
- Cut the hole at the back to an U-shape so you can lay the charger cable through
- Hot-Glue the connector in place and put the cable in the U-shaped channel to lead it to the back and then out through the cut hole.
Using the supplied "connector" part
- Salvaged USB Cable (or just 2 pole cable and USB connector)
- 0.75mm to 1mm copper wire (about 50 to 70mm)
- Isolating tape or shrink tubing to isolate the wires against each other
- Optionally: Some kind of magnet that fits the 10x1.5mm slot
- Sanding paper
- Soldering iron
- Wire stripper/cutter
- Print both parts (or use the build plate STL)
- Drill/Clean the holes:
- The big holes from the bottom are 2.5mm
- The angled holes on the top are 0.75-1mm (you have to get the copper wire through without much wiggling space)
- Get some 0.75-1mm copper wire and solder it to a salvaged USB-Cable (Red is +, Black is -, isolate the other colored wires, those are for data)
- Put the wires through the holes that they stand out about half a milimeter (+ is on the top of the phone, - on the bottom, do NOT reverse the poles, your phone may be damaged!) and sand them even to make the best possible contact.
- Optionally get some small magnets to put in the slot, it helps centering the phone automatically. (I used two 5 x 1.5mm neodymium disc magnets and glued them in)
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Sony Xperia Z1 (C9603) charging dock by dunkelstern is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving dunkelstern a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure dunkelstern would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).