The finalisation stages of my Lack enclosure required a suitable deck mounted spool holder. I wanted it fixed down to prevent it sliding off when the cover was removed or fitted. I also wanted something that was quick and easy to operate so decided on a single sided mount with a quick thread nut and bolt which is fairly typical.
The holder itself is probably hopelessly over-engineered but I figured I'm only going to make one or two of these and want it to last without snapping or bending. It is intended to utilise the standard Anet spool holder shaft and the supplied nuts and washers from the original kit. The M8 threaded bar is screwed into the threaded hole of the mount for around 35mm (40mm deep blind hole in model). A lock nut and washer is then tightened against the face to prevent it unscrewing. The spool bolt is slid onto the threaded bar and secured with either a nyloc nut, or a pair of the supplied nuts locked together.
The spool bolt is designed to utilise a pair of the standard 608 bearing, to ensure free running on the spindle. I have designed the spool bolt and nut to accommodate every spool I've experienced here. These are Prima, Sunlu and Rigidink plus a few cheapo bucket examples which I probably wouldn't buy again. Spool widths of 55mm - 75mm and boss diameters of 52- 75mm.
Black and Orange
There are 2 versions of the model. V1.0 is designed to be printed flat on its side, the triangular face with the threaded hole for the spindle, face down on the bed. No supports are needed. The V1.1 was redesigned slightly to incorporate a 10mm foot to improve stability,(Completely unnecessary as it would appear), together with a 1mm spigot around the spindle hole to give additional clearance for the spool bolt head if a lock nut wasn't to be used. I've modified some of the fillets to allow printing vertically on the bed and I was hoping it might improve the quality of the M8 thread modelled into the spindle hole. I've not actually printed this version so if anyone does, could you please feedback your success or failure.
This is a fairly substantial print and takes up most of the print envelope of a 200mm size printer. If you print it vertically, the gantry of the A6 isn't far off the top frame of the printer. It printed beautifully though and is absolutely rock solid once fixed down with the 3 screws.
Print both the spool nut and spool bolt on their heads, with the conical face pointing up. Depending on your printer and filament, you might need supports off the bed for the spool nut as the threads are recessed from the ends.
Update. 27.08.18. I've now successfully printed the V1.0 version and realised the reason my first attempt had a poorly formed M8 spindle hole was because I'd inadvertently left the "Supports from Bed" option selected in Cura from a previous print job. Schoolboy error which resulted in the hole getting clagged up with a little support tower. This current attempt printed out beautifully and the threaded spindle screwed in with minimal effort.
Mine printed out in just over 25 hours at 0.2mm layer height.
(Update 01.10.18. I've just printed the V1.1 version upright on my Anet A6 and it turned out pretty good. See photos of the orange PLA coloured one.
The nut is usually stiff on the spool bolt threads initially but screwing it on and off a few times will rub off the burrs of the threads during the print and it should spin on and off freely afterwards. I ran an M8 tap down the spindle hole to clean up the threads before screwing in the threaded bar.
Update 27.08.18. If you remember to ensure supports are turned off in your slicer, you won't need to run the tap down the threads. They print surprisingly well. I fitted the spindle bolt in a slightly different manner this time. After fitting the threaded spindle to the spool holder and securing with an M8 locknut, I slid the spindle bolt over the threaded bar but left off the outside bearing from the bolt. I then ran a nut down the threaded spindle until it was just proud of the bearing seating of the bolt. I then fitted the bearing to the bolt and used another nut to draw the bearing into it's seating. If you get it right, the nut should lock against the bearing slightly before it fully seats home. Nip up the nut and it will lock up tightly, sandwiching the bearing between itself and the inner nut fitted earlier. This allows the spindle bolt to turn freely as there is no pre-loading on the bearings.
The spool holder is now completed satisfactorily so I'm going to remove the "Work in Progress" status. Please feel free to feedback. Hope someone finds it useful and worthy of a print.