E3D Fan duct and Mendel 90 X carriage for LM10UU
by sphereinabox, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
These are my changes for E3D hotend on Mendel 90 "Sturdy" variant with LM10UU bearings and T5 belt. There isn't room for the normal fan duct so I put it on the X carriage like http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:157992 . You can use a normal thickness 40mm fan.
To fit the E3d hotend, the extruder needs a more shallow indent, so the wades extruder was modified. No openscad file because I changed hot_ends.scad function jhead_groove_offset() = 3.8;
The included fan duct has thin lines of support material already included. The Cura support material I tried wasn't removable.
You should be able to use http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:91931 to duct air onto your part, but I haven't tried yet.
This doesn't use the E3d fan and heatsink. I used a 20mm thick 40mm fan but a thinner one will work too and be quieter.
You may want to build the STL from the openscad files yourself if you're not using T5 belt, but OpenSCAD doesn't like to preview the X carriage changes, so turn off automatic reload and compile before loading it then Compile and Render CGAL. Copy the scad into your source files first so everything loads.
- Printed fan duct
- Printed X carriage
- Printed wades extruder with shorter indent
- Assembled E3d hotend
- Normal parts
- Print everything
- Remove support material from inside of fan duct.
- Attach fan duct to fan using M3 screws and M3 hex nuts. Take apart by taking the bolts out. The captive nuts are difficult to align later.
- If using hex head bolts on wades extruder, use the correct shorter ones and insert them before putting the motor on.
- Attach E3D hotend to wades extruder using M3 screws and washers as in the Mendel 90 manual.
- Install zip ties in X carriage for later. Don't close the loops yet. I put the "block" end of the zip tie towards the middle of the X carriage.
- Attach the wades extruder to your X carriage. Don't use wing nuts pictured as pictured, or run screws the other way so that there is room for the fan duct. The wingnut pictured by the fan is in the way of the duct.
- Attach the fan (without the duct) to the X carriage using M3 bolts and M3 hex nuts.
- Attach the fan duct using the M3 screws from before.
- Install X carriage on bearings on rails and secure zip ties.
- Run more wires for your always-on fan.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
E3D Fan duct and Mendel 90 X carriage for LM10UU by sphereinabox is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving sphereinabox a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure sphereinabox would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).