Here is my latest project in amateur plastic horology. This clock is based on the mechanism of the Jacobs & Co. Astronomia mechanical watch. Since I lack the mid six figures of disposable income for the watch, I decided to use about $15 dollars of plastic and bearings to build my own instead.
It joins the expanding list of multi-axis tourbillon mechanisms on Thingiverse:
Based on the Vianney Halter Deep Space:
Based on Jaeger Lecoultre Gyrotourbillon:
Based on Thomas Prescher's designs:
Basically, it's schtick is that both the clock face and the triple-axis toubillon orbit the base with the clock face remaining vertically aligned the entire time. I simplified the mechanism found in the watch a little, but it achieves the same result. I also adjusted the timing of the tourbillon to 1,3, and 10 minutes on each axis so that it appears more animated. The clock also features a differential-style winding drum and a movable ring to adjust the time. Run time is about 1.5 hours using a 3kg weight (far less run time and far more weight than most of my mechanisms, but driving that massive carrier takes a lot of power).
Though I've tried to give this design more of a "finished" look, it is by no means perfect. The clock face outweighs the tourbillon still even after switching to lighter bearings, and accuracy is not the greatest. I view it as more of kinetic sculpture than a precise time keeper. The usual warnings about tolerances and elephant footing for intricate mechanical parts apply here doubly.
See it in action:
Just the tourbillon:
I think I uploaded all of the files on here. There was some difficulty involving changing computers twice and a cross-country move that precluded my posting them earlier. The last photo is my first working prototype after said cross-country move in a hot station wagon.
Non-printed materials are:
-16mm long 2mm diameter dowel pins (all shafts except two)
-2mm shaft stock (tourbillon main axis and intermediate tourbillon gear)
-16x8x5mm bearings (I subbed 3 of the 608s with these and plastic adapters so that it isn't quite as unbalanced)
printed in esun silver PLA at 205. I used both my Reach printer and my Prusa i3 mk3, but Reach could probably use the publicity more, so they got the shout out above. Most parts do not require support, but you should be able to figure out which do.
I designed this clock in a free 2D CAD program from which I exported .dxf files to Openscad where I extruded them into .stl models. I sliced them in Slic3r and printed on both my Reach 3D printer and my Prusa mk3.