These are 3 designs I came up with to attach a timing belt to a bolt with just one clamping ring or screw instead of having two next to each other that sandwich the belt between two plates.
For the 3d printer design im currently working on I need this to attach it to a M6 bolt, but I don't want the hassle of having zip ties keeping the belt in place so I came up with these designs, which are much easier to loosen for readjustment or during assembly.
print them lying flat side down, you might have serious issues with the quite fine threads but the others should print pretty well. reducing print speed and layer height further if you can should help somewhat with fine details.
all 3 clips printed well in black hobbyking ABS.
The tapered version in my opinion was the most succesfull, although the inclined thread one worked quite well even if it needs some work.
the pushring on the tapered version slips on with just a little force and is on there quite well so it probably wont fall off (although i will probably be gluing it in place just in case)., and it applies a very good amount of clamping force onto the belt; its not possible to pull it out by tugging quite aggressively on it by hand
the bolt-clamping version unfortunately does not work with the very fine M3 threads; the accuracy is too low to be usefull with my settings and the little bite they gave was quickly stripped away when i tried applying a little clamping force. So i redesigned it to use a small self tapping screw instead ; but a bolt and a nut on the other side should work fine too.
The version with threads has a offset which really is to big for the size of gap to close so its hard to slip the nut on with the belt in the little teeth, but once it is on there it clamps down very very well.
i was trying to figure out how to use something like the clamping plates i used earlier (which was so nice to use rather them fumbling with zip ties) but in my now changed design this was no longer really possible.
I thought about making a adapter that hangs off the bolt in question and allows a plate to be screwed down onto that adapter and the belt to be clamped down but did not have the room in my design to fit this in with bolts on either side.
I then had the idea of finding some way to clamp it in by pressing a split clip down by tightening a bolt in front of the belt.
Because this would have a more limited clamping force available i looked up how to model a GT2 timing belt profile and designed teeth to mesh with this nicely.
then i had to figure out how to clamp it down without using too much width.
I initially wanted to make a pocket for a nut and use a bolt to clamp it together but figured i would try directly printing threads instead as that would save a considerable amount of space.
after this i was inspired to make one based on a tapered slope and a ring that pressed both limbs of the split pin together to hold the belt in place. i settled for about a 5 degree incline and added a incline in the ring to be pushed on to it so it would provide a better contact area for more friction. i also added little wings on this ring and made it a bit beefier so it would be easier to press onto the clip.
the third idea was to use some sort of tapered/inclined thread that would allow a nut to be tightened to provide clamping force. The idea i settled for was making two halves which where threaded and then moving one of the halves slightly off centre, so that when a nut is tightenend around it it forces it back to the centre, applying force.