All fun and no work: https://youtu.be/qihjxvOIFr0
Building it: https://youtu.be/Az37_u7hOmA
This is a cool machine to build if you have $150 ish burning a hole in your pocket and about 24 hours of time to assemble it.
Print everything with supports on!
How This Works
3X PTFE Tubing : https://amzn.to/2PZDWVF
2X - 4mm Bolts and nuts
1X - Arduino Uno
1X - Servo Sheild: https://amzn.to/2N6BiOZ
1X - micro SD Card Reader: https://amzn.to/2Q2a230
1X micro SD Card
Arduino jumper wires
1X .6mm monofilament fishing line https://amzn.to/2C9C9ud
You Need 2 Servo's per joint:
6X High Torque servo's for the three bottom joints: https://amzn.to/2N9mIX2
1X pack of 10 cheaper servos for next 5 joints: https://amzn.to/2MLIRvq
1X - Silicone lubricant spray (for inside the tubes - DONT use graphite) https://amzn.to/2N6tBZc
6V power supply, 5 amp if using the 6V battery, 10 AMP if without.
if your power supply is less than 5 amps then you'll need this battery as well: https://amzn.to/2C9yRHd
Mostly just look at the picture and wing it, I seriously doubt that anybody is going to build one of these things, so if you do, send me a message.
but just incase you do:
- install all the servos into the base, making sure to offset them like in the picture.
- bolt the two sections of the base together
- solder the servo control board together, and hook everything up
- plug the servo board into the Arduino board and hot glue it where I show in the video. plug all the servos in in order of lowest joint to highest Joint. if you mess up its okay you can change it and invert directions in he program.
- load the program from GitHub, make sure you set the program so that it doesn't try to play from the non-existent SD card (playbackFromSD = 0;), at boot up the servo's should all drive to zero, this helps in making sure things won't be out of calibration so bad when assembling the thing.
- i'm going to leave cable routing techniques up to you except for one thing: when you route the cable around the servo pulley, make sure that for the cable that routes up the right side of the pulley, you start at the top and wrap it 3/4 of a turn CCW around the opposite side, and the opposite for the left cable, this will allow you to adjust the center of the joint within 180 degrees.
- for setting up the SD card reader, you're going to want to read though the code, and for that you'll need a bit of Arduino knowledge!
- once done routing everything, center all the servos, and the remove each pulley one by one and center that axis. then adjust the values on X_JointPresets for each joint until things start working properly for you!
Other Important Info:
- I was unable to export this Fusion 360 Project, but the most recent version of this project can be downloaded in lots of different formats from this link: https://a360.co/2wzW1l3
Show Your Work!
- Make a "make" and show everyone what you made! Everyone will thank you for it!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.