The original design was so neat that I decided to remix it to my needs.
For my first prototype I made use of 8mm rods and 2040 rails (i already own them all), it's simple to back to 12mm rods...
Implemented advice from 'metzindistries', moving the X coupler on the right and adding a 608ZZ bearing.
Next step was to implement X-Y-Z endstops (optical ones), an arduino+cnc shield box, a power and relay receptacle and supports for 2 cable chains.
I designed an Laser support too (mine is AliExpress 450mW).
I modified Z carriage to let it support various type of tools, you've just to design your own support and screw it on Z carriage; I own an 12000rpm 12VDC motor, so the showed support fits it.
For whom interested to
The project is public on Tinkercad at https://www.tinkercad.com/things/d8w5mbkOyJQ
(or search for "cnc 8mm"). Sign up to Tinkercad and you'll can copy the entire project.
- Upon request I've uploaded necessary parts for 12mm rods. Renamed all involved part with suffix _8mm or _12mm
- Modified power receptacle and arduino box with an omni-comprehensive one with internal slides for two 5VDC relay modules
- Fistr burning! https://youtu.be/v4blfGhirMI
- NEW uploaded step files in 'STEP.7z' compressed file
You have to insert several brass knurled nuts and two magnets
Bill of materials
- n. 1 Arduino uno
- n. 1 Arduino CNC shield v. 3.0
- n. 4 Nema 17
- n. 1 power supply 12VDC min. 15A
- n. 1 power switch
- n. 1/2 5VDC relay module(s)
- n. 2 2040 rails 500mm
- n. 2 2040 rails 300mm
- n. 2 2020 rails 300mm
- n. 10 LM8UU
- n. 4 square Neodimium magnets
- n. 8 bearings 608ZZ
- n. 2 8/12mm rod 400mm
- n. 2 8/12mm rod 300mm
- n. 2 8/12mm rod 145mm
- n. 4 couplers 5/8mm
- n. 3 optical endstop sensors (optional)
- screws 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, nuts, brass knurled nuts, as needed
- lithium grease
- sewing machine oil
Some parts are from other Thingiverse users; I didn't take note of there names (publishing this CNC was not on my calendar), so I thank all of them if they read this note...