Note - I am currently printing the pieces and assembling it over the next couple of days, so some parts are subject to change. Expect to see pictures soon!
This is a fully functioning (presumably) VAWT complete with an area for magnets and coils. I have no idea what voltage will get generated, but one way or another, it should work!
The whole thing goes together with off-the-shelf 1/4"-20 threaded rod, a few fasteners, a pair of 608 bearings, some common magnets and a whack of magnet wire.
I can only print a 220ish mm blade holder, but I have exported STLs for 140mm up to 260mm blade holder diameter. I have also included the blades themselves - which you can stretch to any height (but don't scale them X-Y!).
The slots are sized in such a way that I can stick crazy carpet plastic in there. You can make it as tall as you want, or as tall as you think the 1/4" rod can handle!
In the drawings above, the threaded rod is 185.5mm in length, and only the diameter of the blades changes for examples. On to the instructions!
You will need to print:
- 2x Blade Holders
- 1x Mounting Base
- 1x Magnet Holder
- 1x Base Lid
- 6x Coil Holder Tops
- 6x Coil Holder Bottoms
- 2x Inner Bearing Sleeves
- 2x Bottom Rod Holders
- 1x Top Rod Cap
You will optionally need to print:
- 2x Blades that match the blade holder size you've chosen
You will need to purchase/supply: (Amazon.ca links provided, though you should be able to locally source most of this)
Total cost of parts should be less than $20 - magnet wire will be half of the cost. The links are just so you have an idea of what I'm talking about - I'm not encouraging buying anything from amazon. Most of this can be found at your local hardware store, except maybe the magnet wire.
3D Printing Canada PETG (or ASA if you're feeling posh) - Anything UV resistant
While I designed this with good tolerance on all parts, you might need a drill if you overextrude, and things might fit looser than desired if you underextrude. I find I get bang-on results when I run PETG, so the whole thing will be printed in that. This thing is intended to go outside, so choose wisely.
I would recommend printing the small parts (the ones that fit around the shaft, and the coil holders) at 100% infill, and 0.1 layer height. Most are very thin and are double wall width anyway, but just to be sure. They also have the tightest tolerances, which is why I recommend 0.1 (the layer thickness-bulge can affect the fit between the coil halves. Worst case - use a drill).
The blade holders should have decent wall thickness (~1.2mm) but can otherwise be the lowest infill you can get away with. Same with the rest of the body.
The mounting base contains the most plastic, bar none - so go for light infill here as well.
There's only a tiny bit of support, provided your bridging is good:
- The pair of Bottom Rod Holders need it for the washer gap; I recommend concentric support at 25%+ for the cleanest surface
- The Base Lid needs it, unavoidably, but the ugly bits will be inside. Use whatever will clean up the nicest.
- The Mounting Base needs support only for the wire exit port, so use the "touching base plate" setting.
- The Magnet Holder needs some for the washer hole as well, same as the Bottom Rod Holder.
The Blades are theoretically printable standing up. They're 0.8mm thick on paper; perhaps adding a raft or brim would help keep them stable, but my intent is to bend some plastic I already have instead of wasting good filament on sheet. If you're at the hardware store, pick up a crazy carpet, but if you live in an area where there's no snow, here's an Amazon link.
First, print the blade holders, the Top Rod Cap, the Inner Bearing Sleeves and the Bottom Rod Holders. Make sure they all fit together nicely. The plastic parts should press nicely in to the other plastic parts, and the threaded rod should be snug to all of the bushings and caps.
You may also attempt putting the blades in to the holder at this point. There's nothing saying they can't stick up above the top holder a fair bit, but you'll only have a few mm at the bottom.
I saw a bunch of other Ugrinsky turbines on here and I decided I wanted to build one, but I also wanted one that actually generated power. I was also looking to take on a larger project in Fusion and it went pretty well, I think.