Most of the spool holders didn't seem to allow the spool to rotate smoothly. I made an adapter to mount an 8mm rod so I could use my custom spool holder and 8mm rod clamps.
Custom Spool Holder - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2979110
8mm Rod Clamps - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2929576
You will need the following:
- 2 x custom spool holders
- 2 x 8mm washers (see description of the spool holders)
- 2 x 8mm rod clamps
- 1 x 8mm rod (appropriate length. ~ 200mm long would be good.)
- a spool of filament.
- Install the adapter so that the 8mm hole is at the top.
- Insert the 8mm rod. If its threaded, you may need to screw it in. Make sure a bit of the rod sticks out past the adapter.
- Put a clamp on the outside.
- Put a washer on the rod, from the left, and push it all the way in against the adapter.
- Put a custom spool holder on the rod, from the left, and push it all the way in against the washer and adapter.
- Put the spool on the rod.
- Put the 2nd spool holder on the rod.
- Put the 2nd washer on the rod against the 2nd spool holder.
- Put the 2nd rod clamp on the rod and push everything all the way in against the inside spool holder. Make sure its tight.
Its pretty simple. Rotates smoothly. Relatively easy to take the spool off and put it back on.