The Egg Separator... separates eggs. Many recipes require the egg yolk to be separated from the white but, for some people, this isn't an easy thing to do. This is a handy little solution that completely separates the yolk from the white and into two separate containers.
The Egg Separator differs from commercial products which are usually just one part. These products rely on the egg white passing through the base of the separator into a container below then moving the separator to another bowl to place the yolk into. The problem is the white often doesn't separate well from the yolk so additional intervention is required to complete the separation. In addition, when moving the separator from the bowl the white has run into to the second bowl the yolk is to be poured into, they are prone to dripping.
The Egg Separator has three parts (base receives the egg white, center separator section and the top which receives the yolk) and deals with the above issues well by following the following simple process:
- Remove the top from the egg shaped Egg Separator
- Crack your egg over the Egg Separator center section and base
- Some of the egg white will run into the base... but usually a portion of the white will stay attached to the yolk above
- Gently / slowly rotate the centre section over the base (i.e. holding the base still) a couple of full turns. This will pass the still attached egg white past the 'wiper' section in the base and pull the bulk of the remaining white away from the yolk.... but be gentle so you don't tear / break the yolk
- Place the top onto the Egg Separator and lift the top and center up together. This will lift the yolk away and leave the white in the base part
- Flip the top and center section over gently and the yolk will be drop into the inverted top (now used as a container for the yolk).
- The white and yolk are now separated and in two different containers.
Note: A small amount of white will always stay with the yolk but the majority will be separated
It's easy... and, even for people who have no problems separating egg yolks from the white, it is a convenient solution because the yolk and white get separated into two containers that are part of the Egg Separator.
Is it food safe?
You be the judge on this point. Before use a post print check over is recommended to remove any loose fragments of filament then wash well in a sink with warm water and detergent. This has been used many times before posting with no known issues to date in this regard.
Please refer to the print instructions and images provided for additional information. And, post images of your Egg Separators in use for other members to see.
Note: Check out the rest of my fun and practical designs!
MakerBot (Used in images provided) PLA
2 shells / 20% infill or more is recommended
White... but will look great in any color
Raft is recommended due to the minimal contact area with the build plate. This will improve build plate adhesion.
Check over and wash before use
Before use a post print check over is recommended to remove any loose fragments of filament then wash well in a sink with warm water and detergent.