Simple Furniture Caster M8-M4
by 4ndy, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Simple swivelling casters, for relatively lightweight furniture. Although I seem to be able to lean most of my weight on one with no trouble at all, you might want to do a destructive strength test on a printed hub before fitting this on something like a couch/sofa.
Since a couple of castors somehow fell off an item of furniture when moving out of my last flat, I figured I would try out printing replacements, since buying just a couple of new ones seemed about as expensive as printing them (getting ones that actually fit this thing were more so).
The kind of castor that I'm substituting this for is shown, and I've also made a wheel version with 1mm walls and spoke-like infill (cross-section pictured) as part of the model in a similar form to those injection-moulded wheels. This should optimise strength/weight ratio, but feel free to use the blank model with any infill style you prefer.
- Ask me if you want this in a different size, or edit it with the STEP files provided in something like FreeCAD.
- Print out two wheels and a hub for each castor. PLA is great for low friction.
- Meanwhile cut off a piece of M8 studding, i used about 75mm (3") each.
- Ream M4 holes with a drill bit so that a bolt will slide through them smoothly. Optionally grease the holes (veg oil works fine).
- Fit an M4x40mm bolt with a few M4 washers and an M4 locknut, plus some washers & locknuts on the M8 studding (locknuts are best for allowing the part to swivel freely while holding it together tight enough, but I seem to have misplaced the packet of M8 nyloc nuts that I had, so full-hex-nuts are in the photo).
Make some more complicated derivatives with wheel-brakes etc. if you want to. :)
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Simple Furniture Caster M8-M4 by 4ndy is licensed under the Creative Commons - Public Domain Dedication license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving 4ndy a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure 4ndy would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).