A little Halloween remix of the classic MakerBot Astronaut! Credit to @MotivatedTea for the idea. Also generously resembles some dead astronaut from Dr. Who that wanted to know who turned the lights out. Enjoy!!
Note: The little holes in the back of the eyesockets seen in my print were a result of thin walls in the model. This is now fixed!
- Imported YahooJAPAN's skull and the MakerBot Astronaut default head into a single file.
- Imported the MakerBot Astronaut Helmet file. Centered everything.
- Scaled the skull to approximate the size of the default head.
Fitting Skull inside helmet:
- In Blender Edit mode, grabbed vertices on the back of the skull and used Proportional Editing to gently fit the back of the skull into the Astronaut helmet profile.
- Used a Difference Boolean modifier to create a slot in the top of the Skull object such that it would click into the protrusion in the inside of the helmet.
- Increased the diameter of the new cylindrical slot on the top of the Skull by about 1% to account for plastic expansion during print.
Attaching Forked Fitting Peg to Skull:
- Positioned the MakerBot default head in preparation to join it to the Skull object.
- In Edit mode, shrunk the ellipsoidal part of the default head to turn it into the neck of the Skull object. In Object Mode, selected and joined the Skull and now shrunken default head objects.