Mendel90 x-carriage with z probe
by LarsBrubaker, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a modification of the mendel90's x-carriage that adds a z probe. When used with new firmware (MatterPrint3D) your mendel90 can auto calibrate the bed height and dynamically compensate to ensure level.
Stuff you will need.
1 - printed x-carriage
1 - printed z-probe-mount
1 - printed up-down-bar
5 - 2.5m x 12m socket head cap screws
1 - 3m x 25m socket head cap screw
4 - 3m washers
1 - 3m nyloc nut
1 - mechanical limit switch
2 - 10mm x 5mm x 3mm neodymium magnets (ours came from a sonicare brush head)
MaterPrint3D firmware: https://bitbucket.org/MatterHackers/matterprint3d
- Print out the new x-carriage, z-probe-mount and up-down-bar.
- Press the magnets into the holes on the x-carriage.
- Attache the limit switch to the z-probe-mount with 2x 2.5m x 12 screws
- Attache the up-down-bar to the z-probe-mount with 2x 2.5m x 12 screws and put on nuts.
- Attache the z-probe-mount to the x-carriage with the 3m x 25 screws placing a washer after the screw head, between the carriage edge and the probe edge on both sides, and before the nyloc nut.
- Put the new mount on you mendel90.
- Drill a 2.2mm hole into your mendel90 frame, 9mm from the left inside cut out and 5mm above the bottom of the cut out. This will hold the raising and lowing pin.
- Insert one 2.5m x 12 screw into the raising and lowering pin hole.
- Hook up the z-probe to the z-min switch connection.
- Add a G29 to your slic3r custom g-code config just after the G28 (home all axis).
You can read our article and see videos at: https://www.matterhackers.com/news/automatic-printer-calibration-update
Currently MatterPrint3D is only set up to work with RAMPS boards. If you have another board you will have to get the z-bed switch working on the z-min switch for your printer. If you do, we would love to have your patch.
Have fun printing,
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Mendel90 x-carriage with z probe by LarsBrubaker is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving LarsBrubaker a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure LarsBrubaker would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).