This is my attempt at building a simple 3rd hand for soldering. You can read my blog post at https://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2018-10/21-diy_third_hand_soldering_helper
- about 1m Aluminium wire (5mm diameter), cut to two 30cm and two 20cm pieces
- 4 51mm alligator clamps
- 1 300x100x2mm perforated metal sheet (only thickness matters) - they are sold to connect wood beams
- 2 10x2mm magnets (for the optional bowl)
The holes in the metal sheet are probably not perfect aligned with the corner pieces. Simply drill them a bit bigger. I used a 8mm drill.
Print four corners, four clamp holders (use brim) and optionally one bowl.
- Fit the corner pieces on the metal sheet
- push in the wire (make a slight L-shape and rotate the wire to get it in easier)
- put the clamp holders on the wire (might need some light sanding on the wire)
- put the clamps into the holders
- push the magnets into the bowl (use glue if too lose - I did not need any)
Everything should work press fit - I didn't use any glue.
Rafts are needed for the clamp holders only.