This is a 2D art model of the XCOM logo from the XCOM: Enemy Unknown game published by Firaxis. The model was created in SolidWorks. Can be a cool badge/display for fans of the series! Overall dimensions are 6.8x9.3 cm, with 0.9 cm height.
This project was created with a partner, who's version can be found here:
Overview and Background
- Base sketch with rough pentagon shape was created and extruded 0.5 cm.
- Borders were outlined and raised an additional 0.4 cm.
- Biohazard symbol was created using various circles, and extruded 0.25 from base.
- Cut was created from text, and star along with the center arc was extruded 0.25 from base.
- All lower edges were filleted, while all upper edges were chamfered. This was done to provide better support for the extruded pieces (fillets), while also retaining the sharp design of the original (chamfers)
- Biohazard symbol edges were offset and cut, to fill empty areas within the shapes.
To create this model, we used the image below as a rough guideline to serve the design process.
We resized the image to realistic values on paper, and obtained measurements from which we could design our model.
We deviated from the original design slightly by adding an offset cut in the biohazard symbol, to reduce the amount of empty space in the model.
Lesson Plan and Activity
With a partner, you will design a “2D” placard using Solidworks. You and your partner will have the same design which meets the constraints below, and you will EACH use Solidworks to create your design.
Should have a flat back; detail will be on the front side
Should fit inside a box that is no bigger than 65cm2 in area when lying flat
Should be no more than 1cm thick
Detail will be made using sketches that are extruded to different heights
Sketch must begin with a constraint box, (center-rectangle created from the origin)
Dimensions should be detailed but efficient
Sketch must contain zero error messages
Sketch must be fully defined when complete
Demonstrate efficient use of “Construction Lines”/”Reference Geometry”
Demonstrate efficient use of “Offset Entities”
Demonstrate efficient use of “Manual Relations”
Demonstrate efficient use of “Smart Dimensions”
Demonstrate efficient use of “Mirroring”
Demonstrate efficient use of “Linear Patterns”