A quick and dirty edit of MegaWillBot's spider pumpkin to allow for the installation of LED lighting. The pumpkin section of the head has also been separated to allow for printing in a separate material.
Note that this is at 150% scale! You'll need to scale the remaining parts from the original design to match this. This will also affect the tolerances of the ball joints, so if you don't plan on glueing them like I did, you'll want to adjust your scaling or XY offset on the legs to compensate. Also, as you might expect, all the wires inside make it more or less impossible to actually fold this thing up, so treat it as more of a display item than a toy.
Transparent Orange, Metallic Silver
What you'll need
- Amber 5mm LEDs x20
- Red 5mm LEDs x2
- Red 3mm LEDs x2
- 33+Ω resistor (I used 70Ω) x12
- Lots of wire (including some thinner wire for the 3mm LEDs)
- Some way of supplying 5V (I used an Arduino Mega, since I was already using a TFT display for my build)
Insert the amber LEDs into the holes in a slice, optionally glueing them in place. Perform some spooky point to point soldering by soldering the anode of one LED to the cathode of the other, and then soldering a resistor to the remaining cathode. Solder your wires to the resistor and remaining anode. Repeat for all 10 segments.
Solder short wires to the red LEDs, insulate the anodes and cathodes from each other (I used a drop of UV resin for this), and insert them into the holes, leaving a bit of wire to stick out. Again, solder pairs of LEDs in series with a resistor, and then connect the two LED pairs in parallel, running a single wire pair away from the head.
Assemble the spider as you normally would, optionally gluing everything in place.
Connect all the negative wires together (you could solder them, but I just used lever nuts for convenience), and hook up the positive pins to 5V however you see fit (I used the PWM pins on my Arduino Mega).
Initial boolean operations were performed in 3D Builder (which, oddly enough, seems to consistently outperform Meshmixer and Netfabb at booleans), everything else (plane cuts, alignment, sculpting, etc) was handled in Meshmixer.