Spiraled Pitcher for the Wrangling of Cats, Di-hydrogen Monoxide and other Fluids

by hitchhiker4200 Oct 29, 2018
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

How should I scale this model to get a pitcher that holds a half-gallon of liquid?

Apologies for not responding.. a lot sooner.

The model posted has a total volume of ~0.33 gallons, so scaling the model by 151% will get you one half gallon if you fill it to the brim.

The design is great. I'm absolutely printing this.

Question about your settings. confused a little by your recommendation of 0.6mm extrusion width and 140% flow. Did you use a 0.4mm nozzle with your recommended 0.6mm extrusion width? And did you set the width independently of the flow? Or are they related?

I was under the impression that extrusion width would be 120% of nozzle width max, or in the case of a 0.4mm, it would be 0.48mm (round to 0.5). Can it do 0.6mm? And did you set your flow to 140% to get that 0.6mm width? Or are the 2 separate, where you have the width 140% of the nozzle size and then the flow at 140% also?

As for flow - in Simplify3D there is no flow setting that i see - so im curious if it translates to something else in my slicer. There is the extrusion multiplier which i guess can modify flowrate.

I have a bunch of nozzles, 0.6mm, 0.8mm and 1.0mm Assuming I use the 1.0mm that’s on there, i would normally set the extrusion width to 1.2mm, and the layer height either 0.2mm or 0.6mm depending on what my resolution goal was. But I would not touch that extrusion multiplier. But since I am ALWAYS trying to learn and improve, I’m wondering if I don’t understand something and could be doing better. So if you can, please guide me a little.

They are very much related. I wanted to achieve a strong and fast print with a 0.4mm nozzle, as well as trick the printer into behaving itself on the bottom layers.

I rely heavily on increased flow-rates in spiralize mode (vase mode) to achieve the first goal. You are correct to assume that I am using the higher flow-rate to achieve thicker walls without swapping the nozzles out. I do not have Simplify3D at my disposal, but I would guess that the extrusion multiplier is the equivalent to Cura's flow-rate adjustments.

In Cura, there are only two flow-rate settings available. You have initial layer flow-rate and flow-rate for the remainder of the print. The flow-rate for the remainder will be used on my second and third bottom layers. With the extrusion width set to 0.4mm (default setting for Cura's Prusa profile), the over-flow on the bottom layers causes the printed lines to overlap and interfere with one another, resulting in a literal hot mess. Setting the line width to 0.6mm (to your point, 0.56mm would be the theoretical value), results in a nice clean bottom.. which I think you'll agree is desirable.

In short I'm just too lazy to swap nozzles, but I want nice thick spiralized parts. The side benefit to using this method over using the 'correct' nozzle diameter is that - for a given wall thickness - you can get very strong, very high resolution parts by over extruding. Brook Drumm (Printrbot) used this to great effect to create prosthesis printers for some of his clients. He leveraged lotsa extruder power and up to 300% flow-rates.

I can't say I've run a comparison between my 'method' and a part printed with a 0.6mm nozzle at default settings, but it would be interesting.

Thanks for the detailed reply. We've been printing for over two years now, but haven't really strayed much from standard settings. While our prints are good, we're always looking to improve.

I've got a 1.0mm nozzle on the Raise3D N1 right now. I may give it a go with a few iterations and see what i like best.

I do tend to rattle on, I must admit.

Let me know how the printing goes.

Di-Hydrogen Monoxide is a very dangerous substance! 100% of the people born in 1900 who consumed and/or interacted with it are now dead! These containers have got to be pretty high spec to be able to handle it safely...

Years of research. Countless failures. Those exposed to the substance where gone in a matter of decades. We lost many good, kind and generous people, but I think you'll agree that it was worthwhile.

And by the way, what's that orange filament you're using?

Awesome, thanks. Now I know what to use to contain large, volatile quantities of di-hydrogen monoxide effectively, and in a color that will ensure people know the substance is dangerous! :)

Hi, I realy like your design, but it's printing not correctly. You can see in the picture the sliced Pitcher with holes in the wall. The orange color is from the bottom layers. What can I do that it's printing/sliced correctly? I use S3D.

.. bugger, I uploaded the old version of the STL. I have now added V2, where the handle angles are less extreme.

I have found that V1 does print just fine provided you are not scaling down beyond 1:2 (50%). V2 is much more resilient. You will also have to keep in mind that the extrusion width may not be accurately represented in your slicer at higher flow-rates. I don't have Simplify3D, but I know Slic3r and Cura have manual settings for line width, and only Slic3r actually represents the thicker line width in the preview.

Thank you! It sliced very well, i print it now!

It come out very well! Now I print it bigger.

I am very pleased. First time I've seen one of my creations made by someone else.

Looks like a good design. I'll be printing one. The best bit is the title though :)

Thanky kindly.

It must be said, I'm torn by my affections for both creation and title.

Let me know how the print goes!

Haha. I'll post a make :)