All-in-one replacement housing that fits two official Nintendo WiiU-GameCube controller adapters and a powered USB hub all in one package! Allows 8-player-Smash (w/ rumble and Wavebird compatibility) via only one USB port. Tested working with WiiU Smash 4 (see photos), and I assume it will work with Smash Ultimate on Switch.
Designed everything in Blender, sliced in Cura. First reproduced every mm of the original adapter boards and housing using digital calipers and lots of patience. Did a couple test-prints to insure tolerances matched up, then combined and added room for the USB hub. All-in-all pretty pleased with the results!
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND TOOLS:
- 2 official Nintendo-brand WiiU to GameCube controller adapters (don't know if it will work with the new Nintendo Switch adapters)
- 1 "Plugable USB 2.0 4-Port High Speed Charging Hub": http://a.co/d/eaC50rG
- tri-wing and Phillips screwdrivers
- wire cutters and stripper
- heatshrink and/or solder
- electrical tape
- metal file
- original adapter and USB hub screws
IMPORTANT BUILD NOTES:
- USB cables for the adapters need to be substantially shortened as you can see in the photos. Do each of the four cables one at a time so as not to mix up the wires. The plastic shields around the USB ports will need to be carved off as well.
- I recommend removing the bright blue LED from the USB hub, since it will be internal and out of sight anyway.
- One tri-wing screws from one of the adapters will need to be filed to at least 4.5mm thread length. This screw is fastened to the "gcn8_nut" (circled in BLUE). This design choice was necessary to fit all the components in the housing.
- Note that the 4 "gcn8_washer" are fastened to the USB hub first before installing other components (circled in RED).
- Everything will fit very snugly in the case, but I assure you that all the tolerances have been quadruple checked and tested, and it should all come out perfectly, at least on an Ultimaker 3 with near-default settings.
- I'm going to go ahead and say that PVA supports are a necessity for this print. Sanding same-material supports is not really a feasible option in my opinion, but if you pull it off, let me know!
PVA supports HIGHLY recommended. Fits on Ultimaker 3 print bed vertically and rotated 45 deg.