This lesson is for 9-12th grade students that are new to computer design and 3-D printing.
The purpose of this lesson is for students to create an original personal logo on paper, learn how to design in Tinkercad, replicate their design in Tinkercad and finally print their design on the MakerBot.
Overview and Background
Tinkercad Personal Logo Project
The importance of a logo... A logo is when text and visual imagery are combined. A logo serves two purposes:
To tell people the name of the company and create a visual that represents the company.
“Logos are a critical aspect of business marketing. As the company's major graphical representation, a logo anchors a company's brand and becomes the single most visible manifestation of the company within the target market. For this reason, a well-designed logo is an essential part of any company's overall marketing strategy.
Corporate logos are intended to be the "face" of a company: They are graphical displays of a company's unique identity, and through colors and fonts and images they provide essential information about a company that allows customers to identify with the company's core brand. Logos are also a shorthand way of referring to the company in advertising and marketing materials; they also provide an anchor point for the various fonts, colors and design choices in all other business marketing materials.
Good logos should be unique and comprehensible to potential customers. Although there are myriad choices for color, visual elements and typography, in general a logo should help convey some information about the company, or be designed in a way that gives some sense of meaning about the company or its industry. For example, cutting-edge firms and tech companies tend to have angular logos to convey speed, while service-oriented firms have rounded logos to provide a sense of service and trust.” (from the website http://bouncemarketing.org/2018/02/15/the-purpose-of-the-logo/)
Checkout these common logos and the reason behind their design...
Visit this webpage to see some ideas on how to create your own logo.
Some key points from the above websites
When you go to design a logo:
Consider your target audience.
Keep it relatively simple.
Focus on just one or two specific ideas.
Maintain proper balance.
Set trends instead of following them.
Be mindful of shape, font, and color psychology.
Use negative space to your advantage.
Make the text part of your logo super clear and readable
Simple colours - think about the different situations it will be used in
Have something visual/memorable
Lesson Plan and Activity
1) Present famous logos using the link on the overview/background or below to initiate a discussion or brainstorming session on what a logo is. (https://www.canva.com/learn/hidden-meanings-behind-50-worlds-recognizable-logos/)
2) Introduce project parameters. Have graph paper, rulers and computers readily available
Must complete an all about me sheet
Logo must be 3 x 3 inches length/width and less than 6 inches in height
Must have the design drawn to scale on graph paper
Must complete a paragraph reflection on the WHY behind the design.
Must work through the tutorials
Create your original personal logo from paper design in Tinkercad
Before printing, the design must be approved by the teacher
Look through the Rubric to be sure all parameters are complete
3) Students will read the overview and research how to create a logo using link: http://www.companyfolders.com/blog/creating-personal-logos-graphic-designers
they will incorporate this research into their own logo creation.
4) Students will draw their design to scale on graph paper.
5) When their drawn design is complete, students will work through Tinkercad tutorials
6) Students will start a new project in Tinkercad and begin to design their drawn logo
May need to have students look up additional supplemental technique videos, there are some decent ones on Youtube
7) After teacher approval of completion and sizing students will print their designs.
8) Students will write a two paragraph reflection on the WHY behind their logo design on the back of their original drawn design. The reflection should also include a few sentences on their experience with Tinkercad and MakerBot.
Computer to research famous logos and design in Tinkercad
All About Me Worksheet
- Scale drawing
Rubric and Assessment
Parameters -Logo must be 3 x 3 inches length/width and less than 6 inches in height
Drawn design -Drawn to scale, is neat, matches 3-D printed object
Design difficulty -Design is made with Tinkercad "Basic shapes"
Reflection -Two paragraph reflection on the WHY behind their logo design on the back of their original drawn design. The reflection should also include a few sentences on their experience with Tinkercad and MakerBot.
All About Me sheet- Filled out completely and handed in
Tutorials- Formative when teacher walks around to make sure students complete in class.