This is a lamp I once saw as a concept. I decided to design it myself (as a present tbh) and now share my work. It is actually now on sale, with a slightly different design though.
What you need:
- Filament in the color you like ;) (I used carbon PLA)
- Transparent filament for the inliner (I used HD-glass)
- LED stripe (mine is warm-white) with at least 60 LED per meter and a power supply
- Any kind of suitable spring for the mechanism (you want ir to be very thin and weak)
- Any kind of small, fixed axis (eg. a small motor or anything similar)
- Some ribbon for the magnet-balls
- Cylindrical magnets (fairly strong)
- a switch with a hook
As I said it was a present, so sadly I don't have any more detailed pictures... But the mechanism is very simple. When everything is printed, the LED stripe is in place and the wires are soldered, all thats left is to align the balls with the magnets inside. Try to position them in the middle with a small gap between them. With that in mind shorten the ribbon and glue it to the upper ball and the frame. TIP: I stung a small hole in the inliner (make sure it is exactly in the middle!) where I was able to put the ribbon through. depending on your stripe you can also sting a small hole in the LED stripe to secure the ribbon behind it.
The lower ball is a bit more tricky. What you need to do is to roll up the right amount of ribbon for the ball to be held in place at the right hight. ATTENTION: The switch is your end stop! You can use a knot in the ribbon as a 'drag'. Lead it through a small hole on the tip of the switch (mine was bent from a small spring I glued to the tip of the switch) and use it to activate it. The rest of the ribbon has to be rolled up under slight tension. Is the tension too strong, the spring will most likely tangle up.
I hope you like the lamp. Feel free to change things you don't like. If you have a good idea for the 'roll-up-mechanism', tell me :).
Filamentworld Carbon PLA/ HD-glass
Everything except for the base can be printed without supports. Maybe you have to resize the Base cover1 to fit in the gap perfectly. I needed to sand it very slightly.