This is a fully customizable magnetic screw tray.
- It is designed to use any common round/cylindrical neodymium magnet.
- Compartment size is fully configurable
- You can have it separated in as many compartments as you like.
- You can have 1,2 or 4 magnets per compartments
- Optionally you can have a lid to better secure the contained screws/nuts
- lots of possibilities to influence the design / rounding.
2018-12-11 Version 1.2
Magnetic Lids are now possible!
- There are 3 new parameters in the Section "Magnetic Lid"
- LidMagnet - if set to "Yes", 4 holes to hold the magnets will be placed in both the lid and the box/tray.
- LidMagnetDia - defines the diameter of the small magnet used to hold the lid to the box
- LidMagnetDepth - defines the height of the magnet (=depth of the hole)
You have to adjust the other parameters for the box/tray in a way to make enough place for the magnet holes. this can be done by adjusting WallT which sets the thickness of the outer walls or by creating round enough compartments so that the magnets can be placed in the outer edges of the box.
If there is not enough space, the cylinder supporting the magnet hole will interfere with the inner area of the compartments.
2018-12-09 Version 1.1
- New Parameter "LidCutout" can be used to create round cutouts on the side walls of the lid. when set to "Yes", this makes it a lot easier to remove the lid from the box.
- add some tolerance to your magnet size. for an 8x1.5mm I am actually using 8.2 x 3mm. 3 is maybe a bit much, but due to the bridges hanging a little bit, this can compensate for that, and the magnets will be recessed a bit more in the bottom part.
- If you plan on printing the optional Lid, make sure you use enough "Height" for the compartments. (needs to be able to contain all the screws inside.
If you like it, please share your makes!
Thingiverse customizer can be painfully slow....
Often it produces "script timeout" or other errors which are mainly there because on thingiverse a very old version of openscad is being used (from 2015) and probably there is not enough CPU power available on the server.
If you run into this problem. try to reduce the number of circle segments ( 15?) while you are using the customizer. just before creating your thing, put it back on the original value.
As a last option, you can download the .scad file and use the "customizer" in openscad.
This will require the latest unstable build of openscad for your operating systems.
- install latest nightly build of openscad
- in the options under "Features" enable the "customizer" feature
- under View, enable the customizer
- you might have to reload the scad file in order to see the parameters.
- have fun and remember to leave a like and to share your makes!