(Update 2/7/2019) - I've added an optional STL for a bearing that will work with this design. Thank you user "noahval0504" for the suggestion.
This is a Möbius band cut into a torus that also has a captured bearing within. In other words, a groovy donut with a half twist rotation cut making a double loopy groove - or is it a double groovy loop? The bearing will travel around the torus twice to complete one circuit.
I have posted two options:
- BearingMobius08_dropbearingmidprint_16.STL - You will need to drop in your own 5/8th inch (15.9mm) bearing mid print.
- BearingMobius09_with_bearing_16.STL - This will print with a "snap off" support bearing already designed in the groove.
- Optional Bearing: If you want to print the bearing separately (in a different color or material) use the "15pt6mmBearingforMobius.STL" file. I suggest supports and perhaps a raft for the bearing print.
- Use Support material and Raft from Build Platform Only.
- Drop in a bearing when the print is halfway done if you are using the "BearingMobius08_dropbearingmidprint_16.STL". You may either pause the print - or just time your bearing drop carefully.
- Break off any support material from the bottom.
- If you printed the "BearingMobius09_with_bearing_16.STL" gently snap the bearing loose by torquing it with your finger. Then snip, file and sand away any remaining part of the bearing support.
- Filing and Sanding may be required to get the bearing to move smoothly about the mobius circuit.
The 5/8th inch (15.9mm) Steel bearings that I used for this can be found here:
More on Möbius strips: