I like the design of the Hero Me modular fan duct. However, I found a few shortcomings of the original BL-Touch mounting bracket:
- While printing a brim for large detail the sensor was touching the paper clips from the front side of the bed.
- The probing area is asymmetric - the distance from the right edge of the bed is too large.
- Some users reported in the comments that their sensors were even lower than the nozzle.
I decided to correct these shortcomings:
- The mounting bracket was lifted up by 1.5 mm. The sensor no longer touches the paper clips. If you want to lower your BLTouch sensor at the correct height, then either add M3 washers as shown in the photo or print the BLTouch shims (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3308418), or edit the source file (provided in DesignSpark Mechanical 2.0 format - .rsdoc and in ACIS - .SAB)
- The sensor was moved closer to the nozzle along the x and y-axes. For two positions of the sensor, there are two mounting options with the following offsets (mm):
V1 -41.25X, -7.2Y
V2 -38.15X, -7.2Y (the sensor is turned with the PCB outwards)
This allowed expanding the probing area out by about 7.6 mm to the right and making it more symmetrical. Theoretical details are explained in this video:
- The mount is reinforced.
About editing the Marlin firmware (Configuration.h file):
You'll need to update the new offsets for your probe. For V2 mount:
- X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -38
- Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -7
You may measure for yourself for exact values.
You'll also need to calculate and update your probing grid:
I advise activating AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR along with EXTRAPOLATE_BEYOND_GRID for best results.