How about automatic powering off your printer when printing is done?
*Update! New, better, safe version is published. Go there for it!
I want to share my upgrade for 3D printer which gives Auto Power Off functionality.
Some printers, equipped with ATX PSU may do this by simple M81 command. Lucky owners!!!!
All others, or almost all others, know these timers to switch off the printer after printing is finished. We also know that expected finishing time may be different than calculated by slicer software. So we add one or two hours to not switch off the printer too early.
I started to be tired of this solution and invented my way of secure switching off the printer just after the printing. Tested with Ender 3. Should work with similar printers.
After finishing printer cools down and raises printhead frame to the maximum height. It triggers switch and disconnects power from printer.
What do you need to upgrade your printer?
MOST IMPORTANT IS TO KNOW HOW TO WORK WITH POTENTIALLY LETHAL LIVE VOLTAGE.
You will not need to take a risk, but mistake can always happen!!!
SO PLEASE, ASK PROFFESSIONAL TO HELP YOU WITH CABLING.
- about 1/2 meter of two-wire cable. 2 x 1mm2 at least.
- soldering iron
- soldering skills (not advanced)
- some insulating tape or themorshrinking tube
- two screws for fixing to frame. I had hammer nuts (T-nuts) with 4x14 screws.
- two screws with nuts to fix microswich. Mine are 2x12mm but it's not so important.
- microswitch with lever, capable to take more than 2Amps. Mine is 5A (size 20x10mm distance between the holes 9,5mm). Unfortunatelly, these small switches used by Ender (you may have one free after installing BLTouch or 3DTouch) are 1Amp which is not enough. Printer takes almost 2Amps in full load - heaters, electronics and motors.
- some time :-)
You are done with electro-mechanics. Now it's time for software and adjusting.
- Add "special" commands to end sequence in your slicer (i.e. Cura--Settings--Printer--Manage Printers--Machine Settings--End G-Code window). Disable M84 command with ";"
G4 S300 ; wait 5mins to cool nozzle
G0 Z250 ; go up to max height
You may adapt commands to your needs. Decrease Z250 part if your printer is smaller than Ender3 which has 250mm max height
5min pause is really needed. Too much heat from hot nozzle without cooling fan active may cause filament jamming in the head.
You are done!!!
Congratulations. No more power waste.
You are GREEN now!
Starting printer is simply by pushing the frame little down. Power is coming back.
In case of another microswitch you may adapt holes in the arm or ask me for help with it.
.stp files enclosed
Any PLA, ABS, PET