20190202: Very minor update affecting the wing only; reduced the width by 1mm total for easier clearance. File "cup clamp mk2 - wing Mods1+2+3.stl".
20190120: Major Update! This is a nearly-scratch redesign, correcting several errors in the previous design, although to the naked eye it probably looks nearly identical.
Functionally, it is a better fit for the car, it allows for larger cups (e.g. the Contigo that didn't quite fit before), and it correctly aligns the springs so they won't wear out or get bent. If you printed the previous one and you're happy with it, you probably don't need this one -- but if it's easy for you, you might want to try it. If you haven't made it yet, definitely use the new design.
Also, I added a series of photos (toward the end, using the orange mk1) explaining the assembly with a piece of filament for the axle, if that wasn't clear to you. Also, after a mention by @Gunn on M3OC, I also made a mod that has 10mm cut off the bottom in case you have a liner/mat in your cupholder well.)
Spring-loaded cup clamp for Tesla Model 3.
(tl;dr: you want
cup clamp mk2 - wing Mods1+2+3.stl (print two)
cup clamp mk2 - center Mod1+Mod2.stl
There are some variations and versions, but these are the latest and preferred.)
This device friction-fits in the empty middle space of a Tesla Model 3 center console, providing spring loaded wings to stabilize smaller cups/bottles/containers in the large space. The wings are recessed to fold fully flat if needed by a large item (see, for example, the Contigo travel mug picture.)
There are other designs out there, but they mostly just consist of an appropriately sized concentric ring, and the user needs a series of rings available; this is the only design I'm aware of that is spring self-adjusting. This is a fully original design from scratch by me.
To assemble, you need
- one of the center,
- two of the wings,
- a few inches of 1.75mm filament for the hinges, and
- two, four, or six springs from ballpoint pens.
(Yes, ballpoint springs vary -- a little. This isn't a heart valve, though -- it'll probably work. In general, they're 1 inch (~25mm) free length, about 3/16in (~4.6mm) OD, and anywhere from 2 to 5 pounds per inch of compression strength across 12 to 20 turns. If you really can't find any ballpoint pens, MMC 9657K296 would probably work)
I printed the center piece standing up, with tree support, and the wings standing on their flat sides. The cavity in the center piece is not functional; you could use it as a place for storing odds and ends, or fill it with support and just leave it, or not care if it drools a little while printing.
If you want to flock the pieces (as shown on my black final item photo) or otherwise surface finish, now is the time. Do a test-fit to see if you can get the filament hinge-pin through; if your printer is precise enough, it may fit right off the printer, or you may have to chase the holes with a drill bit before assembly.
Put a wing in place, and run the filament through to form the hinge; snip with about 2mm to 3mm of extra on each end, and then use a hot object to smush the end flush to the center piece. (Look at the assembled orange-and-black photo model to see the smushed ends of the piece of black filament used for the hinge pin.) The wings should flap freely. Put at least one, up to three, ballpoint pen springs in each side; there's enough cavity in the center and the wing that they will stay in place once placed.
Photo notes and comments:
- The photos are of the ones I printed before modifying the design slightly to accommodate multiple springs.
- Shown are an orange-and-black that I made to to make it easier to see and photo, and an all-black that I flocked for actual use, both PLA.
(20190107: Added a wing in the correct orientation for printing, in case your slicer doesn't handle reorienting well. No change to model, just reoriented.)
(20190109: Updated center piece model slightly for better fit to car. No change to wing.)
(20190120: See note at top -- complete redesign, much improved.)
(20190121: Mk2Mod1 center: removes 1mm at the bottom to allow the user to really push it in for a more snug fit, instead of it bottoming out at pretty-snug. Mod2: Minor change to spring angles for better printing and better retention. Should be compatible with any Mk2.
Preferred files currently the Mk2 Mod1+Mod2.)