4020 Axial Fan Cover
This part is based on the stock fan cover, but allows the use of a 4020 axial fan on Ender 3 and maybe other Creality printers. My original fan died after a couple of weeks. I'm now using a Sunon MagLev 40x40x20 fan which moves plenty of air and runs smooth and quietly, but wouldn't fit using the original fan cover.
I designed this in multiple parts to avoid the need for supports. Print with the fan intake hole down. Be sure to print the left bracket with a flat side down.
I left the intake hole open. You could mount a wire fan guard either by using longer M4 screws then mount the guard on the protruding ends of the M4 screws using locknuts, or by using 2 shorter M4 going into the unused fan mounting holes from the outside.
- 2-4 M4 x 25mm screws for mounting the 4020 fan. (I only use 2.)
- 4 M3 x 8-10MM screws.
- The original 2 M3 fan cover mounting screws or 2 more M3 x 6mm.
- The original 4 part cooling fan screws or 4 M2 socket cap screws. I believe the stock screws are 2 8mm at the top and 2 10mm at the bottom (where the duct mounts).
- Mount the top bracket to the fan housing using 2 M3 screws.
- Mount the left bracket to the fan housing using the 2 stock M3 cover mounting screws or your own M3 screws.
- If the screw holes are tight you may get bulges around them where the housing mounts to the metal bracket. If so, trim them and any other bumps using a razor of a file, so that the housing will mount flush with the bracket.
- Do the following 2 steps in whatever order works best for you. I Installed an inline connector for my 4020 fan, so I install it first and then plug it in as the last step.
- Mount the 4020 fan into the fan housing. Make sure it is oriented so that it blows inward.
- Mount the stock part cooling fan (don't forget its 90° duct) to the right side of the fan housing. You could also do this after mounting the housing to the printer, but my wires are long enough that I can do this with the fan housing laying on the bed.
- Mount the fan housing using M3 screws.
I use 6-8 walls and 3 layers top and bottom.