The Pickle is a mini frame inspired from Kababfpv's ideas on the toothpick class. The goal is to build a mini fpv drone using electronics from a power whoop such as the Mobula7 or BetaFPV 75 pro 2 series and 65mm bi-blade props. This makes a very light and agile quadcopter that flies as a 5 inch setup (!).
The STL files for 3D printing are for prototyping purposes only. The frames will be too soft to be flyable. Use the DXF file to get it cut on carbon fiber (CNC).
You also have a dual whoop battery holder, 2S battery holders, FC 2mm spacers that you could print using TPU filament.
Read carefully the informations below, you'll basically find all parts & tips you need to build your own mini quadcopter !
Check the changelog at the bottom for frame & accessories modifications.
Where to get this frame cut ?
Parts needed for the build
Accessories & Props
- The FC grommets (the small dampers that hold the FC)
- M2 long screws for the stack (one 14mm on the back and three 18mm)
- Tiny Whoop batteries or better, 350-450 2S batteries with XT30 connector (the ones for the betafpv 75x)
- KingKong 65mm bi-blade props
there are 2 versions of the frame. One for very small 070x motors (name ending with 3holes_mini) and one for 080x to 110x motors.
Best motor choice seems to be the AMAX Inno 1103 7500 Kv but unfortunately those are very out of stock these days. I use BetaFPV 1103 motors that are fine but the shaft is a bit fragile.
You can use about any tiny whoop mount for your camera, the one provided with you whoop or printed ones like the following :
My current setup
- Pickle frame v2.5 and accessories.
- Pickle Canopy for Caddx EOS2 : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3499430
- BetaFPV 1103 brushless motors (the ones for the Beta75x but 0802 will be fine as well).
- 65mm 2 blades props (shaft hole drilled to 1,45mm otherwise it's too small).
- BetaFPV F4 2S Flight controller (The one from the Pro 2 series, AIO board without RX).
- TBS Crossfire Nano receiver.
- XF-Race 868 MHz pcb antenna, does exist for 915 MHz as well.
- Caddx EOS2 Cam
- TBS Unify Nano VTX
- Tattu 450 mAh 2S XT30 battery (long version)
Warnings & tips
- All canopies won't fit, some get onto the props. The BetaFPV one fits fine (basically all the ones that remain above the FC and don't go too much in the front).
- Motor wires are too short by default, you need to extend them.
- It's better to direct solder the motor wires to the board than use the small connectors.
- Best power connector is the XT30. You'll get better performance and flight time.
Enjoy, do not hesitate to comment and please go take a look to Kabab FPV videos on his Toothpick frame. He's my source of inspiration and way more interesting informations. Go buy his frame on https://kababfpv.com.
- added a holder for a TBS XF-Race crossfire antenna. It replaces the rear fc standoff. It's far from perfect but does the job right now.
- bumped versions to 2.5 and 3.5. Made some reinforcements to the frames around motor mount holes and central part.
- added a "M2 plug" stp file. I use those on top of m2 screws to block the canopy instead of M2 nuts, way more convenient.
- added a light battery holder for GNB 450 mAh 2S batteries (18mm x 13mm)
- added a lighter battery holder for 2S cells. Should fit betafpv 350 man batteries and Tattu 450 long version.
- Updated the frames with an universal motor pattern compatible with 3 hole 1103 Amax and 4 hole 1103. The files named "3hole_mini" are for 070x motors only.
- added v2 & v3 frames with 3 holes pattern for 070x motors. This time with correct pattern :)
- added pictures of my final setup (carbon fibre v2 frame)
- added a V3 frame with a design that makes motor connectors accessible on the bottom side ... if you use a FC similar to the Betafpv F4 2S.
- made a bigger hole in the center of the frame (gaining weight)
- added a battery holder for 2S 300/350/450 mAh (the ones compatible with the Beta75x)
- 2019-01-20 :
- new v2 frame with 16x16 screw pattern
- added the DXF file if you want to cut a CF version (2mm should work fine)
- 4mm width FC spacers, modded battery holder (260mAh 1S whoop batteries).