There are several designs floating around for something like this, but I did not have any of the particular magnets on hand, so I designed something for what I did have. While I did pull inspiration for this project from seeing other models, I don't consider this a remix because I designed everything from the ground up based on my needs. What's needed and instructions should be in the post-printing section, but I'll put it here too.
Things you'll need:
Things to do after printing:
- Press the magnets (gently) into the parts.
- You may have to file down the rounded section under the magnet closest to the filament gear. My part was barely touching the filament gear and I didn't want anything to bind up. This may not be needed as it was kind of hard to see, but I filed it down a bit just in case.
- Mount the back plate onto the extruder using the M4 screws.
- Put the fan tunnel and second magnetic mount together, and install the two #6-32 screws all the way through, onto the fan.
Things to note:
I don't consider this a WIP, but modifications/improvements could surely be done. Because my printer is the Anet A6, I had to remove the screw holding the part cooling fan. I originally just tried turning the screw around, but it would not allow my X-Axis limiter switch to depress. The second screw seems to hold the fan in just fine, and even after about 10 hours of printing, it hasn't budged at all.
I know the model isn't perfect, but it might help someone out. It seems to be working very well for me, so I figured I would share it.
Modifications after printing
I had to use a file (sandpaper would work too) to file down the rounded section under the magnet that attaches to the extruder, as the filament gear was slightly rubbing it. I also used a couple spare flat washers I had laying around to add a very slight distance from the filament gear as well.
I used a couple of the longer spare M4 screws (the head should be flush) to attach the plate to the extruder, and a couple of #6-32 x 1-1/2" Machine Screws found here, and a couple #6-32 matching nuts, found here.
For the magnets, I used magnets similar to these. The exact measurement should be about 14-14.3mm diameter and 3.5mm deep. I used these particular magnets because they are ridiculously strong and hold the pieces together very well.