This is [was] just a very simple remix of Prot0typ1cal's awesome scale mail armor. I didn't like the way in which the scales needed to be linked using a heat source to bend tabs, so I replaced the tabs with some holes to allow the scales to be woven together with string or fishing twine. An upside of this design is that the final fabric of scales should end up being more flexible and possibly more durable, as far as wearing it as actual armor is concerned. Assembly should be much faster with string than the original method of bending tabs (depending on how good you are at sewing). This design also allows other types of scale or decorations to be woven into the fabric during assembly, or can be used like shield scales.
EDIT: Added V2, has 4 holes rather than 3, so will be easier to weave into a standalone fabric. The original is best for sewing onto another cloth.
EDIT: I designed a knot, based on the v2 scales, for making awesome neckties. I would recommend scaling its width (front to back) to 125% in your slicer before printing to get best results. Also, gluing a piece of fabric to the bit for connecting scales does wonders to increase the strength and durability of the final tie.
I would recommend printing the scales at 75% scale (no pun intended) or larger, the knot at 100% or larger (some parts are quite thin).
After first tests and experimentation, I would say sewing and upholstery threads work best, fishing twine worst (not flexible enough). Also noted that unless you want to tie a lot of knots, it's best to sew the v1s directly to a fabric. There are various ways of looping the strings about to get all the scales aligned and looking nice, so I would recommend experimenting to find what works best for you.
Please share in the comments if you find a really good all-purpose weaving pattern that eliminates the need for a second fabric underneath.
A batch print of 24 originals at 75% scale should take about an hour and a half, so you can get a pretty decent sized piece of maille within a day of printing. The same batch with v2s takes about two hours.