This hub mates the 4" Vex mecanum wheel to the Pitsco Max 4.7 mm axle hub.
There are multiple Vex mecanum wheels. This hub works with the 4" version of this wheel: https://www.vexrobotics.com/mecanum-wheels.html
PNs: 217-3645 and 217-3644
The Pitsco part number that mates with this hub is W39172.
Extra parts needed per wheel:
- x6 Long screws to hold hub to wheel, #8-32, 2.5" long (e.g. McMaster-Carr PN: 92949A821)
- x6 #8-32 hex nuts (e.g. McMaster-Carr PN: 90480A009)
Key design decisions
- A length of hex shaft that matches the Vex "Thunderhex" shaft (axle used in Vex mecanum wheel) is used to transfer torque to the wheel.
- Cut outs in the hex shaft are used to allow screws to pass through to lock the Pitsco hub to the printed hub.
- A raised platform for the hub moves the hub above the screw heads
Print with axle horizontal to improve strength
Be prepared to widen holes with a drill to allow screws and shaft to fit
Print with axle horizontal with supports.