Loading
Haprog

Filament Dust Filter (parametric)

by Haprog Feb 4, 2019
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I found that this model without any adjustments had the inside hinge clearance too tight. After changing that, it was too loose when snapping the filter shut. The original model didn't have either of these problems. But thankfully you did a great job modeling and it's trivial to just change a few dimensions, great job!

I needed a longer dust filter, as the roll I have is covered in some weird dust that kills nozzles, and even two small dust filters weren't enough to stop all those particles from entering the hotend, so I was glad to find this model to customize and make it suit my needs.

Thanks!!

Thanks for sharing! Feel free to share the values for the parameters you changed or post your version as a remix in case it would be useful for someone else. :)

I've been thinking about making a new version of this (at some point in the future maybe) with somehow different clasp mechanism as I'm not very satisfied with how it works now. But it's not very high in my list of things to do.

Agreed, the clasp mechanism isn't ideal. I had to pull in the inside face of the clasp inwards by 0.4mm and move the small circle in Sketch 9 just a bit towards the inside. It still isn't great, but it holds when shut although the halfs don't sit perfectly flush, but again, at least it doesn't come loose like it did without any changes.

Also, I changed hinge_pin_cone_clearance to 0.3mm as I couldn't get the hinge free after printing at the default value. I'm printing the double clasp model right now and lowered that to 0.25mm in the hopes that it's tighter and hopefully will be more rigid when clasped shut.

I probably won't share the double hing remix, as I couldn't get the hinges to mirror at the midpoint by mirroring features, instead I just cut the model in half, mirrored the bodies and joined them up. Not really how it's supposed to be done, and a bit too messy for sharing that.

Edit: I decided to post the .stl, as it's fairly solid and I'm quite happy how it turned out, but the fusion 360 project would just be too messy and not really reversible in the way I made it. Thanks again for the .f3d file, I wish more people shared their source files as remixing it this way is just way easier than dealing with .stl files.

Back when I made this originally a lot of people had issues with tighter clearances (still do frankly) which is why my version is a bit loose in the hips. I never actually used this thing myself which is why I never tweaked the design further :P

I was thinking I might add few more STLs at some point just preconfigured with different values for the clearance to make it easy for people to try which one works best for them (if they're not satisfied with the first version they try).