Parametric LED Acrylic Sign.
- First, install both GNU Make and OpenSCAD on your favourite Linux distribution.
- Edit the parameters at the start of the OpenSCAD file.
- Open a terminal and run "make" and wait... a lot! On an i7-4790, it takes from 40 to 50 minutes to generate all the STLs (around 110MB).
- Ensure all your dimensions are right by printing the models:
test_usb_cage.stl before continuing.
- Print one of each:
filler.stl the same number of times specified by
led_stip.stl the same number of times specified by
- Place all the LEDs inside their holes on the top of the strip, solder all the needed wires, remove the LEDs and reinsert them so the wires have walls making their access harder. Leave some wires to solder the circuit.
- Solder the USB port to the wires.
- Insert the USB port into its holder.
- Cut the "legs" from the
bottom_clip.stl and use the hot soldering iron to "glue" the USB port in its place by melting the clip in "strategic points".
- Use the soldering iron to "glue" the
led_stip.stl to the
- Insert the
filler.stls on the stick of
The acrylic was engraved using this mill mod with GCode generated by this Inkscape plugin.