Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Big Freaking Water Rocket Launcher
by cgapeart, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I want to turn a 15 litre water cooler bottle (the non-deposit kind made of of heavy pop bottle plastic) into a big freaking water rocket.
This design is untested, use at your own risk. I for one don't plan on being anywhere near the launcher when I put pressure in.
Just uploading it for comments/ideas.
-Release mechanism (in progress). The base design has spots for o-rings, and could operate by just letting it go whenever the pressure is stronger than the friction. I would like to add arms that lock on to a ring on the bottle later on, after I figure out if it will work at all.
The STL won't print as is: the two parts have to be seperated. I didn't think the hose barb would print well even with support unless it was vertical. It still needs work for overhangs.
Probably needs to be printed with 30-60% infill with extra shells/perimeters and I plan on using ABS rather than PLA on this one.
An acetone vapor treatment or a brush with acetone slurry might be a good idea to make sure it's air tight.
The barb end is sized for 1/4" id air hose, but may need to be seperated: it's probably not going to print nicely that way.
The rings on the riser should hold a set of O-Rings. They don't all need to be filled - just the 2 or 3 that the cap of the bottle touch against.
The style of bottle I am using (see pictures) is smaller than the normal cooler bottles, and doesn't have a handle, so it should balance more easily. None the less, the legs of the launcher have holes to peg into the ground or screw onto a larger base.
- The cap may completely pop off instead of launching from the smaller nozzle. Epoxy might help there.
- I have no idea what kind of pressure these bottles can take. I plan on using just a little bit of water and building up
- Balance and aim: the bottle will likely need some fins for stability and a nose cone for aerodynamics.
- Need lots of space, probably bigger than a back yard. I don't want this thing hitting me or landing on anything I don't want damaged.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Big Freaking Water Rocket Launcher by cgapeart is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving cgapeart a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure cgapeart would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).