Efficient Open Fireplace
by coofercat, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This thing has moved to Youmagine: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/efficient-open-fireplace
This is a design for an efficient open fireplace. It's based on classic British Victorian fitting into a brick chimney.
This design is roughly based on a real Victorian cast-iron design, except that it has a number of enhancements and features. These are:
- Classic open fire design, for burning coal, wood or man-made fuels
- Side convection heat pipes circulate clean air from the room past the main heat source and back into the room. This increases the heat transfer from the burning fuel into the room
- Rear water pipes for opportunistic water heating when the fire is burning. Most likely used with a heat-store system, or as-and-when central heating systems
- Forward shifted grate to bring the radiant heat closer to the room and to enourage greater heat transfer outwards rather than up the chimney
- Upwards heat and smoke is diverted by the fireplace, meaning heat is transferred to it, again transferring more heat to the room and less to the chimney
- Places to add decorative tiles or patterns (again, like many Victorian fireplaces)
All open fires are inherently inefficient (in terms of the energy of the fuel and the energy transferred to the room). The up-draft of heat up the chimney also tends to "suck" the air (and heat) out of the room and wastes it up the chimney. However, this open-fire design aims to increase the amount of "usable" heat from the burning fuel. It's probably not as good as a wood burning stove, but hopefully a lot better than an original Victorian fireplace.
Just about all of the sizes, scales and tolerances are very forgiving. The Sketchup source file is included to make derivatives. The object is around 100mm square, so obviously needs scaling to make a model or for using as a building template.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps
Efficient Open Fireplace by coofercat is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving coofercat a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure coofercat would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).