Hypercube Evolution Rails Build
- MGN 12H rails for Y motion
- MGN 15H tails for X motion
- Universal piezo probe mount for Z probing
About the Build
This build relies on parts from a variety of other sources. Check the remixes on the left to see the various inspirations and remixes the went into completing this project.
Note that the motion parts are not mixable with other projects. This remix modifies most pieces and requires all the published components to work correctly
I wanted to upgrade my hypercube to take advantage of the precision of MGN rails and stiffen the build to increase speed a little bit over the 8mm rods, while support a direct drive extruder in the future if required.
In addition to this I've grown keen on the Universal Piezo probe with my previous aero extruder, so adopted a universal mount which will allow technically any hotend mount to work with the universal piezo probe system.
Other than using rails, the pullie, idlers and belts from the HEVO setup will work with this design.
What to Print
- A & B Motor Mounts
- XY Idlers
- XY Intersects Fits MGN15 to MGN12H
- Carriage Fits MGN15H
- Piezo Plate Chose piezo disc size, you need this even if you don't use a piezo
- Belt Clamp x2
- X Flag x2 Not option, you need both to fit the pullies
- Y Flag
E3DV6 Bowden - This is the basic setup, currently well tested and used to print at 120mm/sec with moves at 200mm/sec on the setup. Use the standard fan shroud from the HEVO, or consider this fan shroud http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024572.
Print E3DV6 Tool Clamp.stl and E3DV6 Tool Mount.stl
Titan Aero - Also tested and used now. The aero is my preferred direct drive setup with this system at the moment. The size and profile of the titan aero fits well with on a standard HEVO design. Currently you lose 1cm on Y due to the fan, and 1CM on X. With a bit more work I suspect I can get the full build volume and may post minor revision to this tool mount soon.
Print Aero Tool Mount.stl, Aero Fan Mount.stl, Aero Fan Duct.stl
BMG Direct - This mount has also been tested. The very left-hand-sided extruder on this mount though means that you will probably need to move your X endstop to X-MAX. Unless you have a bit of extra room in your build, you'll loose about 2cm on X and Y for this mount. You will need to find a universal cooling fan, like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:991505
Personally I dislike this setup for the BMG though. It's a bit too big to work smoothly as a true direct drive. I'll probably test a flying extruder setup soon, which also benefits by moving the mass of the motor directly overtop of the carriage.
Consider the BMG mount to still be a WIP.
Print BMG Mount.stl
Videos of it in Action
Some other great models to add
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3090510 BMG bowden mount for 3030 extrusions
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2586845 Universal piezo PCB mount
2019 May 19
- Added small chamfer to the nema 17 mounts for Aero and BMG
- BMG back body was too thick, fixed
- Added back full piezo actuator body and enlarged actuator. Better combination of stability and reliability with the piezo over removing the back body, especially when printing with PETG.
- Added extra material on top of rail compression for intersects, the rail is a tight fit, it could crack the joiner when inserting the rail.