Hi Everyone, this is my latest open source 3D printer design.
Before I decided to design this 3D printer, I was looking for an open source 3D printer design which I just can take over and build myself. Checking the many available open source design, I realized none of them are really as I would like this printer to be, so I decided to design my own version of a Core XY printer in which I have integrated most of the best ideas I have seen during my 3D printer research.
The key features of this design are:
- Based on Duet WIFI + Panel due control boards;
- XY Core design - very accurate and fast printing;
- All axis slides on MGN rails;
- Dual color hot end;
- Maximum XY speed 300mm/s;
- Open front structure;
- Very compact design, smallest overall size VS print area;
- Low noise – passive cooling for the motors and soundproofed walls.
The build area is completely customizable. The maximum build size for this frame shall not be bigger than 300x300x300mm – see attached frame calculator.
My printer is built for 275x220mm heated bed build plate and 250mm height.
Overall printer size is 470x395x445mm.
My main objectives for this design was to have the size of the printer as compact as possible.
I wanted to reach standard printing speeds over 150mm/s without compromising the print quality. For this reason, I have focused my design on the X carriage to be as light as possible.
You must consider that the energy (e) of the moving mass (m) is exponentially increasing with speed (V).
As example, to go from 100mm/s to 200mm/s would require 4 times lighter moving mass, which obviously is not possible.
Therefore, to reach higher speeds without compromising print quality we would need four times more rigid frame and power from the XY motors.
I have made the design fully open source. I have used SketchUp for the design (I already regret it) now I’m working on moving the design into Fusion 360, not a simple task!
To build this printer you will require a lot of patience (it took me more than one week to complete) passion for 3D printing and technical abilities both electrical and mechanical.
I guarantee the result will worth all the effort!
To do List
- Upgrade to geared dual drive BondTech extruder (the one I have now is not geared, at high printing speed under extrusion starts to became a problem);
- Integrate an additional 5V supply + USB TYPE A connector for supplying external IP webcam;
- make some nice pictures / video to show the awesome print quality of this printer;
- finish documentation and instructions;
- design a new fan-duct for high speed PLA printing - this "monster cooler" is not bad but I have seen designs with similar results using only one fan - apparently the long duct has also some negative effects.
Note: I will do my best to update the project regularly!
P.S. Marked as a remix of "BLV mgn Cube" with permission/request of BenLevi. Thanks Ben for the great work you share with us :).
Overview of the printer
Design and assembly information
I have attached two source files of the design done in SketchUp. You can open them with free SkethUp viewer or edit in SkethUp PRO.
Mach Cube Frame.skb
Detailed assembly instructions you can find in the attached file:
Mach Cube Assembly Instructions.pdf
In this file you find all the details needed to build such a printer and also tips and tricks I used during the assembly.
The build size is customizable, use the attached frame calculator:
MacCube Calculator&BOM .xlxs
Note: The same file contain the BOM with links from where it can be purchased.
For best result I recommend of using genuine HIWIN rails and carriages.
Good performance can be achieved also using the cheap Chinese rails, the only issue I found with them is that they wear out quiet fast and you see all kind of nasty artifacts/ringings on the prints.
I printed most of the parts shall be printed using PET_G. The fan ducts I have printed from ABS. The decorative parts printed out of PLA.
In the DuetConfig.zip you can find the configuration files the duet including some useful macros.
Thanks to all who inspired and helped me to develop this project!
If you like the design please express it, if you build one share it!
For any comments, questions, ideas let me know them by the comment section.