Update: added beefier motor mount arm part that connects to the center support threaded rod. Removes the slight motor mount wiggle. Also redesigned the mount position adjustment system, should be much easier to adjust the belt tension.
- motor_mount_arm_stopper (print 2 and use with the M4 bolts)
- motor_mount_arm_cap (fix the arms to the center rod)
Was having some random problems with the X5S default Z-axis setup and the occasional loss of sync for the z motors was kinda annoying so started looking for mods to improve the situation. Came across the thing by @mlapp and was going to build that. However, I already had done a mod to stabilize the z axis and those parts didn't match the rod separation on the mlapp's mod so I started modding. And actually remodeled everything, except the stabilizer parts which are in another thing.
So the idea is similar to the original mod. However, some differences:
- as I don't have a bottom on my frame, the motor is mounted on arms that mount to the 2020 at back. Motor position can be adjusted, so there's some leeway in choosing the belt length (I use 1220mm)
- the bottom parts that hold the 40t pulleys is in two parts for easier printing
- there's optional support parts for eliminating the bending on the middle due to the belt tensioning
Required parts to print:
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_bottom.stl (or Single_z_remix_z_bottom_with_pegs.stl)
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_bottom_top.stl
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_top.stl (or Single_z_remix_z_top_with_pegs.stl)
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_screw_clip.stl
- 4x Single_z_remix_rod_clip.stl
- 4x 625zz bearings
- 2x M3 20+mm screws
- 2x M3 nuts
- 2x 5mm metal rods for axles
- M4 screws and boat(?) nuts, mostly 10mm but also few ~20mm
- 2x M4 nuts for the motor mount
- 1220m belt (can be bit shorter or longer)
- 2x Single_z_remix_center_rod_mount.stl
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_rod_support.stl
- 475mm M10 threaded rod for support in the middle
- 6x M10 nuts or print Single_z_remix_support_rod_nut.stl
Optional printed pulleys:
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_pulley_40t.stl
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_pulley_40t_retainer.stl
- 2x Single_z_remix_623zz_idler_pulley.stl
- 2x Single_z_remix_z_pulley_washer.stl (for 623zz pulleys)
- 4x 623zz bearings
- 4x M3 8mm screws for the pulleys
No printable 16T GT2 stepper pulley available at the moment so go buy one.
If not printing the pulleys, by similar:
- 2x 40teeth GT2 pulleys (might be able to use bigger, not tested)
- 2x 623h idler pulleys
Firmware: z steps need to be changed from 400 to 1000. If using bigger pulleys, calculate steps: screw_pulley_teeth/motor_pulley_teeth * 400
The setup should be quite straightforward. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify things.
I printed most of the parts with 3 perimeters and something like 30% infill or more. Pulleys 4 perimeters 50% infill.
Some parts have some extra geometry to generate extra perimeters for extra rigidity.