This is a small remix of spugnoids excellent dashboards for Star Wars - Armada (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3271901). I wanted the ability to temporarily attach the 2 and 4 upgrade boards to the main dashboard.
Because of the small height of the dashboards (6.35mm), rather than use Openlock I decided to use small 3mm diameter/1mm thick neodymium magents (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKMA8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and some keys to align the boards. The magnets are quite small, but give just enough grip to keep the dashboards together - so the board can be slid around on the table without them coming apart.
I used superglue to glue the magnets into the slots. Just ensure that all the magnets are aligned the same way...
Changes made to the original:
- I had to thicken the left and right edges of the upgrade boards to made room for the magnet
- Added cutaway male/female keys to the sides
- I made the cutaway on the main dashboard (under the tarot size card) larger and the same shape as the upgrade card cutaways - for asthetic reasons and to save a bit of filament.
- Holes cut in the walls for 3mm diameter, 1mm thick neodymium magnets.
Das Filament PLA
As always, ensure your printer is well calibrated. I print with a 3 or 4mm brim to reduce lifting.
Whilst there are overhangs on the female key cutaways, they're quite short. So ensure your slicer bridging speed is slow (max 15mm/s), to reduce sagging. There is some height tolerance built into the models to account for some sagging, so supports shouldn't be necessary.
I would enable "Detect thin walls" on your slicer or equivalent setting (I use the Prusa Slic3r), to ensure the back of the thin walls behind the magnets get at least one solid trace.