Just got the new Google Pixel 3a. Great phone at a great price. Now I need a case, and there are none to be found for 3D printing. Well, here is my attempt. I am working on getting things lined up, and will appreciate feedback.
I uploaded both the STL file and the OpenScad design files. Please review and let me know your changes, if any.
I have already printed some test prototypes, and this is the current version. I'll be printing again and re-tweaking as needed.
Be sure to use flexible material. I prefer Ninjatek Armadillo. Its a slightly flexible thermoplastic and is indestructible!
UPDATE 5-13-19 at 7pm EST:
Yes, this is still a THING in progress.
I have uploaded two updated versions of the STL and .SCAD files
Use these in place of Case02. I had positioned the headphone jack and microphone hole reversed, so I fixed them. I also widened the headphone jack opening, and tweaked the positions of the camera, fingerprint sensor, and side button cutouts.
This should be close to the final version, I'll update after re-printing and testing.
UPDATE 5-13-19 at 11pm EST:
Deleted versions Case02 and Case03.
Version Case04 is pretty close to right on.
Depending upon the flex of the material you use, you might find the fingerprint sensor is either spot on center, or slightly pulled high or low. This version is working great for me.
I tried printing in PLA, and if you scale it to 101 or 102%, you can get it to slide on with a spudger. I'd recommend a flexible material, though, if you have it.
Taking it off "Work in Progress" as it is now ready for use.
I uploaded a new STL and SCAD file for a thinner, PLA printable version of the case.
Here are the changes:
- Thinner case walls to make PLA able to bend enough to get the phone in the case
- Tweaked the design so it isn't so tight a fit (also good for the PLA)
- Made the USB cutout larger to fit more USB C charger connectors
- Cut out the plastic over the switches, making a notch in the design. The thin band over the switches was just too weak and hard to print accurately.
The new files are:
FINAL UPDATE 05-19-19:
Here is my best, last upgrade on this model.
Cutout to the top edge for the headphone jack, the small hole is fine for those with small diameter headphone jacks, but this larger one should work with just about any headphone.
- Tweaked the overall length, the phone was loose in the long axis with the previous model. I cut it back by 0.5mm, and it seems to fit really well with a PLA print.
The final files are: