This is a top-mounted spool holder for 2020 extrusion that uses parts from the original Geeetech A30 spool holder and a few wheels like those found on the bed or axis gantries.
I wanted a simple spool holder with bearings that was centered above the printer for use with a direct drive extruder, and was simple to mount and use. This is what I came up with using spare parts I had laying around.
What to print:
Print the center, two uprights, and one of the threaded cylinders.
The uprights can be printed with the largest flat face down. The threaded cylinder should be printed upright. Print the center section however you please, but it looks best when printed upright.
Additional hardware required:
- Two M5 50mm bolts
- Two M5 lock nuts
- Four bearing wheels (same type as the printer uses for the bed, z axis, etc.)
- Plastic tube from the original spool holder.
- Four T-Nuts
- Four 1-12mm countersunk bolts for the T-Nuts
How to assemble:
- Slide the center section over the 2020 extrusion across the top of the printer, in the center.
- Slide the two uprights, on on either side, over the ends of the center section so that the center mates into the recess on either upright.
- Secure in place with T-Nuts and bolts in hte provided holes on the front and back of each upright.
- Thread the lock nuts onto the 50mm bolts, leaving about 6 mm of space between the head of the bolt and the lock nut.
- Slide two wheels onto each bolt after the lock nut.
- Screw the bolts into either side of the threaded cylinder up to the wheels. Tolerance is variable, so you may need to scale the threaded cylinder on the X and Y axis for a good fit. Do not scale Z!
- Slide the plastic tube from the original spool holder over the wheel assembly. If it is a little loose you can wrap the wheel pairs in electrical tape. I found one layer was a perfect fit.
Finished wheel assembly inserted into original spool holder tube.
How to use:
The wheel assembly fits into the recesses on top of the uprights, using the 6mm of space along the bolts as the axle. The wheels provide smooth motion for the filament spool, and swapping filaments is as easy as lifting it off and moving the wheel assembly to the new spool!