UPDATES: 14/06/2019 - added some photos of the tail with linkage installed. This is my solution to make tail removable
UPDATES: 07/06/2019 There is a report relevant to the installation of the bowden cables inside the fuse. Place the cables before gluing the parts otherwise it may be very difficult. Next revision will include a sort of pipe inside fuselage to receive the cables.
For part F02 remove manually the material for access to the hatch.
UPDATES: 28/05/2019 This is first public revision of my project. Not yet maiden flight waiting for good weather. video of maiden will be added later.
See assembly manual for updated specs in downloads
Brief story of this project
During a slope day in summer 2018 I had a look of the flight envelope of the dream flight AHI of a friend and I was really impressed.
I took some photos of the model and started to sketch my own project for a similar model to be 3d printed.
After sever try finally here is my slope aerobatic glider....
This project took at least one year of pc design and several try and errors. Even if total weight is under 450g, I wasted a some of spool of pla to obtain the final design.
Under download files there is a more detailed/updated assembly manual
This is one year job for me and used several spool of filament to test and try in order to complete the project. So if you print and fly this model with satisfaction, please consider to leave me a tip with Paypal so I can go on developing other free models
This is not a toy. Flying Rc models can be tricky and can cause potential danger to people and things. If you are not a experienced pilot don't try to fly this model by yourself. Find a near rc field and ask for information for set-up and fly.
This project has to be considered as Experimental.
I uploaded the project as it is and I can't take any responsibility about the proper use of it.
3D printed model can be less durable that fiberglass / balsa models and especially PLA can suffer high temperature, don't leave the model in your car under the sun.
If you have any suggestion send me a message.
Last thing: No commercial use of this work is allowed without my written permission
wingspan is 1200mm
Wing area 19.3 dm2
Airfoil used SB96V for Root and SB96VS for tip with a tip swirl of 0.5 deg.
Wing plain viev is similar to AHI but increased a little the Rooth chord
Wing has a balsa wood (3mm thk) spar embedded in the pla and a carbon tube (6mm diameter) as a wing joiner
Wings and stab are removable for transportation
• Length is 813mm
Projected weight of the frame is 380g, obtained 391 using PLA plus
Stab is fully moveable with pendular system
Use 4 x standard mini servos (9 to 12 g)
Another piece of balsa wood is used to close the end of the fuselage and install Fin hinges
Balsa wood spar - 3mm thk 600 length to be adapted after fix inside the slot
Balsa wood spruce to close the Fin
Carbon fiber spar Outer diameter 6mm x 330 mm length
Carbon fiber wing centering pin Outer diameter 3mm x 100mm length
Carbon fiber Stab pivot Outer diameter 3mm X 120mm length
Carbon fiber Stab pendular system Outer diameter 3mm x 55mm length
4 x standard micro servos (9 to 12g)
Rx micro min 4 channels
Battery pack (4 x NiMH AAA size or 2 x lipo and stepdown converter)
Be prepared to spend about 25 to 30 hours of printing
All the parts doesn't require supports if printed in direction of the STL supplied
I spent a lot of time in optimizing the internal structure so no infill is required except wingtips and nose cone.
I have a delta printer with max height of 310 mm the bigger part requires 277 mm of Z height. If your printer doesn't reach Z max required you can cut the pieces and glue together later.
I designed a small support inside each part in order to create a flat surface for coupling. In order to save weight you can cut away some of the top / bottom layers with a hot knife and leave 3 to 5 mm at the edge to have surface for glue to work.
As a slicer I used Slic3r (is free) and I added some configuration files.
This project is optimized for 0.4mm nozzle printers.
General printing setup:
Layer thickness = 0.2
First layer = 0.25
Line thickness 0.4mm for all (advanced config in slic3r)
1 to 2 bottom and top layers
Seam position = Random
Use over temperature (Starting at 210°C for first layer and 207°C for others on my extruder)
Heated bed starting at 55°C for adhesion and then switch to 45°C
No Cooling fan at all
I used a extrusion multiplier of 1 during slicing and then I manually change to 1.03 during printing
Do not use raft or brim that can be tricky to remove
With Seam position = random in case of small ooze some small dots of plastic can be present on the surface of the parts. To remove carefully sand with sandpaper (120 to 180 grade). I prefer to sand the parts when everything is glued together
I found useful as a putty to close small gaps between the parts to apply some small drops of cyanoacrylate and immediately cover with sodium bicarbonate (the same powder used during cooking). It creates immediately a very rigid compound that is easy to sandpaper once dried.