Insipred from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3451063 (Ps. rynbrnz if you're reading this, you inspired me to make this!).
To simply put it, it's a carbon rod "toothpick" frame. It's around 5g-8gs~. There are several options too!
- X style w/o supports
- X style w/ supports
- Stretched X w/o supports
- Stretched X w/ supports
(supports = rods on either the sides or front and back. Ref to pictures.)
I made this because I had leftover carbon rods laying around and an empty wallet for those nice "toothpick" frames.
Regarding how to make this, I'll put up a video once all the files are done. For cutting the length of 2mm carbon rods, The tool named "Last Arm Length Guide" allows you to cut it precisely and have different lengths (100mm, 110mm, 120mm, 130mm, 140mm).
Working on a canopy for this. It'll be on a separate article. Specifically made for this frame.
Hotend - 210 C
Bed temp. - 65 C
I always make my first layer relatively slow, 40 m/s should work well. I print at 60m/s but id prefer lowering it to 50 since these are small parts. I didn't use any brims or rafts (skirt will do)
End arms have very little plate adhesion so you can still add a brim or just use some glue stick. You will also have to print the end arms standing (printing it this way will make it stronger once you put the rods in it, promise!) Center frame doesn't need any supports just lay flat.
I saw this frame on Thingiverse and tbh I haven't seen anything like this before but I had some issues with it. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3451063
Ps. rynbrnz if you're reading this, you inspired me to make this!
I actually had over 20 revisions of each part of this since I wanted it to be hassle free. The arm ends are pretty much done and I'm still editing the center frame. I'm getting ideas from the primo frame which is my fav frame rn but I don't have one so I'll just have to base it on rotor builds pictures hahaha.
The center frame is being based on the Primo X110 since it feels to be the most well-planned frame out there in this size.
The hardest one to design was the stretched X arm ends since the arms weren't really angled differently, I just tilted the motor mounts inwards and that seems to do well.
The center has to be PLA. It needs to be somewhat stiff since it holds everything. The arm ends can be anything really.
June 6 - I remade the Center Frame. The V2's have 26x26. There are 2 V2's. The one that says "26x26" is the simple version which is final. The other one is still a work in progress. The way you mount your canopy on that new part is similar to how the Primo X110 does it.
June 7 - putting in new files with some slight changes. I'm also doing the same for the canopy so check that out too.
July 7 - OKAY!! sooo the video has been posted. I have updated the files. And everything should fit well already!! TYSM to those who made it already!! so sorry if you had to wait! The canopy isnt final tho. i will make changes still to that!