i created a pendant to use for displaying information about the sensors and microphone on my jacket. this eases the act of coding so i can see the results of real world behaviors.
having bare leds exposed on my chest was a bit too much even with the brightness turned down. i added this ornamental piece to protect the neopixel stick and diffuse the light.
as an added benefit the diffusion makes the neopixel stick read as perfectly symmetrical and perfectly wearable.
i 3d printed my enclosure, if this is not something you have access to you might trying melting some low temp plastic, hot glue, over anything else you can find to cover these leds.
- get one of these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1426
- i soldered up the neopixel stick with four wires of the most flexible wires i could find. stranded silicon insulated work great.
- i added a snapping locking connector power the piece on and off that sits within leather behind my neck.
- i added another connector that does NOT lock to pass power and data from my jacket collar. this way i can see the data im generating. the non locking connector is important to allow the pendant to quick disconnect in the cases where i take off my jacket without thinking of the necklace.
- i sliced this print with no shells on the bottom to make the neopixel stick snap in place pretty easily.
- one can use a teensy2 as a small board to drive the thing independantly