'Like' Social 2-sided photo frame/Xmas tree ornament

by Timboom, published

'Like' Social 2-sided photo frame/Xmas tree ornament by Timboom Dec 10, 2012
0 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps


Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Thing Statistics

3859Views 621Downloads Found in Decor


Hang from tree or standalone! Give as a gift with your loved one's profile photo on one side, and yours on the other.


This ornament can hang from the Christmas Tree or stand on a shelf. It can hold two 2" x 2" photos, back to back, with a space in-between them. The two photos are easy to load and won't fall out. That way, when it hangs on a tree, you don't mind if the ornament turns around. You can put small battery-powered LEDs between the pictures if you want to.
Construction and finishing
This is printed as a single piece, which is rather surprising given the voids and slots. Additive manfacturing still amazes me.
Printed at medium res with a raft and supports. I set infill to 20% and temperature to 233 degrees, but your mileage may vary.
My wife designed the photo retaining features. Photos are loaded and kept in place with slots. The slots are 2mm deep and 2" high (units are mixed because photos are usually sized in inches where I'm from, but only a masochist would model in inches). The photos don't fall out because of an overhanging rim. I was surprised by how easy it was clean out the support material - I used a steak knife and continued with fingernail sanders.
The big space between the photos is there to conserve PLA and to keep the weight down.
I've included images to show the size relative to the Replicator2, and to illustrate the process of loading and cleaning out the photo slots. It's printed in clear PLA, and the trim is painted with blue acrylic paint.
It takes 4 hours 35 mins to print on a Replicator 2.
Potential Mods
I've supplied the Sketchup file, if you want to mod (there's a tempting space under the sleeve for batteries and electonic mods, for example).
You could make the slots deeper than 2mm, so that you can slide in acrylic or plastic covers for the photos.
Of course, you could also use the basic photo frame 'technology' to produce your own frame design, or enhance your arduino box with a photo cover, for example.
I thought too, that you could use a thin PLA square in place of a photo, to use the slide design as a simple battery cover.

More from Decor

view more

All Apps

Auto-magically prepare your 3D models for 3D printing. A cloud based 3D models Preparing and Healing solution for 3D Printing, MakePrintable provides features for model repairing, wall thickness...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Print through a distributed network of 3D printing enthusiasts from across the US, at a fraction of the cost of the competitors. We want to change the world for the better through technology, an...

App Info Launch App

Quickly Scale, Mirror or Cut your 3D Models

App Info Launch App

3D Print a wide range of designs with Treatstock. Easy to use tools to get the perfect result. The global 3D printing network that connects you with high-quality and fast working print services nea...

App Info Launch App

Better results if you print on a vertical orientation (thumb facing upwards).

Although it does take 10 hours, vs five for horizontal!

I decided to save time and PLA by creating a version that contains more internal spaces. This seemed like a good idea, but it actually took 25 mins longer to print. I suspect that the additional voids complicated the toolpath, slowing the process down.