After designing a 2V dome, I was trying to design a 3V dome.Finally completed.
This is a geodesic dome 3V with a diameter of 20 cm.
Print triangle parts and assemble them to make a dome/sphere.
You will get a very beautiful dome/sphere.
[how to print]
There are three types parts.
AAB (isosceles triangle) , BCC (isosceles triangle) and bottom plate.
The number needed to make the "dome",
- AAB ... 30 pieces (black triangle parts in photos)
- BCC ... 75 pieces (white triangleparts in photos)
- Bottom...5 pieces (white long stick in photos)
Note for printing bottom plate
When printing the "bottom plates", please print vertical position(like stl file). If you print horizontally, the strength of the snaps will be reduced.
If you want to make a "sphere", print the following:
- AAB ... 60 pieces (black triangle parts in photos)
- BCC ... 120 pieces (white triangleparts in photos)
- Bottom...0 pieces ( No bottom plate is required.)
[how to assemble]
I think it can be done easily if you look at the photos.
If you print enlarged, you will get an expanded dome. But I think shrinking is difficult. That's because when it shrinks, the structure of the snap can not be maintained.
I designed this referring to the following site.
The bottom of the 3V was not flat, so it took some time to design the bottom plate, but I managed to get it.
I did not do mathematical calculations to design the bottom plate. I assembled the parts on CAD and made the bottom plate.
The purpose of adding the bottom plate.
- Prevent the snap claws from sticking out to the bottom.
- To make the 3V bottom flat.
- Increased strength of the entire dome.
- Since only the bottom plate was thin(only one plate), I improved that the balance of appearance.
The snap structure is the same as that of 2V dome.