This is a beautiful makeup holder that I designed for my girlfriend. As uploaded, this is two main pieces, the shelving unit and the holding unit. The shelving unit has been designed for makeup variations over time as each slot is 0.5in apart.
The shelving inserts have been designed to have a beautiful tolerance close to a loose running fit. I have experienced no pinching or locking from my prints.
The parts can be glued together to create a solid unit (which is what I have done in the image) but they can also be used separately as uploaded.
The holes in the back allow for wall mounting and are sized for a #4 (I used #4 wood screws).
Overall dimensions are roughly L x W x H of 7" x 3 3/8" x 5"
Edit 1: Added signature to the back of the parts, tried to fix the STL so the STL image didnt show the backside of the part but no luck with that change.
Edit 2: My two original parts (final shelving unit and shelf base) were uploaded to be stand alone pieces and are walled on both sides for stand alone purposes. For my actual application I knew I was going to glue them together so I removed the one wall on the final shelving unit. This option has now been included under final shelf unit_no wall.
FIRST POST so i'm sure i'll have a couple more edits.
Comments or suggests are always appreciated.
10% (I dont think it gets used)
I simply provided my print settings. I used 0.1 because I wanted it to look good and to ensure that it mimicked the experimental settings when I was testing the shelving inserts into the shelf base. It should work at higher layer heights.
Simply glued the two pieces together with superglue.
Lots of iterative input from my girlfriend. Tried to add some esthetics through the curve in the holding unit.
The shelving unit was the most difficult as I had to have a good understanding of the tolerance of my printer. My x y z dimensions seem to print out just short of the actual dimensions by 0.1, 0.2 and 0.05mm, respectively, fairly consistently so that helped with the shelving design. Each shelving insert is 2mm thick so I would end up with 1.95mm, and after some testing of different slot sizes I chose 2.1mm as I knew it would end larger than 1.95mm.
End of the day printing small scale representations and trial and error processes were key to achieving a smooth sliding shelf.