Activated Carbon Air Filter for Dremel 3D45
Not mentioned in the lack of documentation for the Dremel 3D45 printer is that there is an activated carbon air filter on the fan at the back of the printer. This helps to remove plastic smells and toxic chemicals from the air which is drawn out of the printer.
Depending on the amount of ABS or other plastics with potentially harmful chemicals that you print, you should change the filter every few months.
As far as I can establish, the only source of replacement filters is Dremel. The filters are not particularly cheap and if you live somewhere like in the UK where the Dremel Support is abysmal, they are unavailable.
I therefore provide this filter for printing which is 80mm square and about 8mm thick.
You will need to buy some activated carbon granules. These are cheap and easily available from Ebay and elsewhere. Ensure that you buy the smallest size granules available. I made the mistake of getting large granules and had to crush them!
You will also need some filter cloth to put in the back and front of the filter. This removes dust particles and stops the carbon granules from falling out. The pukka job is HEPA anti-dust cotton air purifier however any cotton fabric will do. An unwanted shirt for instance.
To assemble the filter
(see the images)
- Use the honeycomb as a template to draw two squares on your cloth and cut them out with scissors.
- Put one square in the front and the other in the back cover.
- Put the honeycomb on top of the cloth in the smaller cover and fill it with active carbon granules.
- Put the other half of the cover on top ensuring that the cotton cloth covers all the holes. There is a key on the honeycomb which ensures that the covers go on the correct way round to align the ait holes.
- Unlatch the filter door inside the printer on the fan. Remove the existing two part filter and replace it with your new unit.
My Dremel 3D Printer Things
I design these things for myself but I have published them for you. If they make your life easier or save you money then please do not forget to "Tip Designer"!
0.20 layer height or less
any PLA or any