My partner had a nice collection of watches that needed new batteries. After changing the batteries, I realised that the lid was very challenging to close.
As usual, I decided to use Thingiverse and my 3D printer to fix the problem.
I like Troy Mackay's design, but I don't like Sketchup, and I needed to print presses for the dimensions of the watches I had, so I redrew it using OpenSCAD.
I though using a locking pliers (vice grip) would be an easy job, but it turns out to be quite challenging to align the 2 printed parts and the 2 watch parts in the pliers. I ended up using sticky tape to hold the parts in place, then use the locking pliers to hold it tight, and finally closing the lid by adding pressure on the side that was lifting up using another pliers. That sounds messy, but that was quite easy using this method, and I felt in control, I was not afraid of breaking the crystal.
NOTE: It's preferable to use a vice, to apply pressure uniformly on the lid. But if you don't have a vice, it can still be done.
I printed in PLA to test the dimensions. I was planing to print the final version with PETG, to get a stronger part, but PLA turns out to be strong enough.