Parametric R/C Heli/Quadcopter Training Gear Hub
by chuank, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This print allows you to make your own R/C Heli/Quadcopter training gear, with the similar levels of accuracy and build characteristics as store-bought training gear.
As it's parametric, you can define the number of arm sockets as well as your choice of rod diameter. Additional cutouts are done to minimize the weight of the hub.
Hopefully this will give you optimum flexibility in printing one with the correct size/arm count for your bird.
The default settings in the .SCAD and exported STL are for a 200-size heli, using 3mm carbon fiber rods as the arms.
UPDATE: Download the .STL file for a pre-generated hub set for 45mm diameter and 3mm rods. This .STL has additional fillets to strengthen the hub at its weakest points, and chamfers to ease insertion of the rods.
Materials you'll need, besides this print:
- 1) Rods for the landing gear. Carbon fiber rods are highly recommended for their shock-absorbing properties. Number of rods depends on the number of arms you set. Diameter depends on the type of bird you have.
- 2) CA glue - apply some onto the rod before sticking it into the hub.
- 3) Ping pong balls, whiffle balls, sponge balls, any round, smooth sphere to stab onto the end of your rod
- 4) Cable ties to attach to your R/C heli.
- 1) Use ABS. PLA will probably work but might be too brittle for R/C heli usage. IMPLA might work, though I've never tried that.
- 2) The hub is printed upside down. No support material is needed.
- 3) Specify a decent plugwall width, or risk rods snapping the printed arms off in a hard landing.
- 4) If you're gonna use carbon fiber rod (or tube), go for a relatively thin diameter enough to hold up your heli, but pliant enough to absorb shock from bad landings. 3mm rod for my 200-size heli seems to work.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Parametric R/C Heli/Quadcopter Training Gear Hub by chuank is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving chuank a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure chuank would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).