Spool winder for filament and other spools with a maximum dimension of 210mm in diameter and 76mm wide. If the spool axle is inset then wider spools may be accommodated. Spools should be a minimum of 30mm wide with an axle hole not smaller than 16mm diameter.
One turn of the handle gives two turns of the spool.
The winder is parts compatible with my spool holder which also includes jointing pieces to join multiple spool holders together. See my thing:3823334.
I provide files for the frame to suit either right or left handed people (the right-hand configuration is shown in the images). All the other files need to be printed except the centring discs where you inly need to print ones which correspond with (or are slightly smaller than) your spool's axle hole.
Also I provide an optional filament guide and pivot however I find that windings are generally satisfactory without using this.
I recommend PLA for printing this, alternatively PETG or a plastic which has good layer adhesion.
If you must print in a plastic which does not bond well, such as ABS or nylon then there is a hole through the spool axle to take an optional M4 x 60mm machine screw to strengthen the layers forming the threads to reduce the chances of them snapping off.
- The spool axle gear and spool axle pin should be glued onto the spool axle. Use a melt glue for ABS or Superglue for most other plastics.
- Ensure that the round crank axle fits into the frame properly and rotates reasonably freely. You may need to trim any printing artefacts from around the holes in the frame with a sharp knife.
- The handle of the crank should rotate on its shaft. You may meed to break it free if it has stuck during printing.
- Put the crank gear into the recess in the frame then push the crank axle into the frame and through the gear as illustrated in the image.
- Glue the hexagonal pin into the crank axle and optionally clue the crank handle onto the hexagonal pin taking care not to get glue on the moving parts.
I design these things for myself but I have published them for you. If they make your life easier or save you money then please do not forget to "Tip Designer"! Thank you.
0.20 or 0.25 layer height
. PLA or PETG